Awwww craaaaap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Awwww craaaaap

Post by RX8SE3P »

So my timing belt somehow slung itself off a pulley towards the engine getting messed up.

The tensioner pulley bolt broke off in the engine. As if thats no a big enough issue, I did get it out by drilling a flat head shape into it and screwed it out.

Now it seems the thread is a little messed up and once it is screwed in all the way it still spins.

Tried some jb weld in it but if that cant hold i am not sure what i can do. Might ring one of those thread doctor places to see if they can make a bigger thread with a proper nut. But there is not much space in the engine bay.....
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Awwww craaaaap

Post by RobMinhas »

Maybe pick yourself a tap and die kit or a thread chasing kit(both of which are actually pretty useful to have anyway), then rethread the hole and see if the bolt will stay in? Or drill out the hole and then use a tap to cut some threads and get an oversized bolt?

I hate it when you break bolts, I managed to break one of my valve cover fasteners off, and boy was that a pain in the a-- to remove and right after I got it out I managed to break the tap I used to cut threads for an oversized fastener.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

You may have to weld the hole up, re-drill it, and tap it for the proper sized bolt...

Make sure that you get it at the PERFECT angle that it was prior to stripping it out.

That's bad luck man, I'm sorry...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Hmmm I might call a place up and see if they can/have done this before. I'm almost certain I will stuff it up and will need to pull the engine :P

Bolt stays in, it just doesn't torque up to the specified amount without spinning.

Moral of this story is:

1. Use your old original high tensile bolt and not the soft piece of crap supplied in kits. That way the belt can just snap itself and not take out other victims in it's demise.
2. Buy King6's manual tensioner so it can't fail and the above does not occur!

Will update later in the week with progress report/verdict/possibly some pics :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

IN that case a thread repair kit might work, if all else fails it'd be worth a shot and it's basically impossible to muff up.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah I would either drill and tap it next size up like Rob suggested, or go get yourself a heli-coil and use that. They work rather well and come in many sizes, not just for sparkplugs.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Helicoil is a better idea. If you go from M8x1.25 to M10x1.25 the bolt won't pass through the tensioner anymore....then you're modifying the tensioner...
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... hread+sert

I vote time-serts, helicoils are h@$$ when you try to take the bolt back out again...
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I used an SAE bolt when one of my other bolts stripped. It was just a little bit bigger in diameter so a simple drilling to clean out the hole then I tapped in out in about 2 mins. If the hole is blind then you need to use a 'bottoming tap' so your threads will be finished right to the bottom of the hole. Good luck looser. :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I got a guy to helicoil it yesterday. Works real good.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”