92 1.8L parts identification and locating help please

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
scorpio_vette
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

92 1.8L parts identification and locating help please

Post by scorpio_vette »

92 1.8L manual transmission

Ok, so I'm scratching my head over a couple other items.

1--COOLING SYSTEM

So I've discovered 2 radiator caps. Based on what I found here searching, the one on the left side of the valve cover by the timing cover is the "fill cap", and the one down by the radiator is some sort of "pressure cap". What exactly is the purpose of that little "tank" by the radiator with the pressure cap on it???

Also, where do I get a replacement "filler neck" piece??? mine is cracked, and the previous owner tried to gorilla glue it. well today it started leaking on me.

2--NEAR ALTERNATOR

Found a little bracket bolted to the side of the alternator, but I think it's loose, and for the life of me can't figure out what it's for. it's got a small tab on the one end like a locating tab or something that should be in a hole somewhere, and on the other end it has a little round piece (rubber). Again, I can't even imagine what it's for, and every parts store has looked at it and went "WTF is that???".

3--VACUUM LINES

There is a large vacuum (i think) nipple on the rear passenger side of the motor, that has a black vacuum cap on it. Any idea what goes there???

There is also a vacuum line that is supposed to go to the airbox. But my car has a cold air intake on it, and so that line is just capped off. But if i'm correct, it goes to the EGR valve, or one of it's solenoids. So does that line need to be connected, or is it ok to leave it capped off??? Should I install a small air fitting into the air intake tube and hook that hose back up???

4--BRAKES

Those little wire "springs" or clips that go between the brake shoes on................oh wait.........think my brain fart just escaped and I may have just realized the answer.
Since the outer brake pad isn't attached to the caliper like on other cars, and the inner brake pad isn't clipped into the piston like on other cars, those "springs" are the only thing pushing the pads away from the rotor when the brakes are not being applied right???
On the other hand, without the brakes applied, there shouldn't really be any force on the pads, and they should be able to "move" away from the rotor just enough by themselves. So is it ok to run without those "springs", or should I buy new ones and put them in??? (some were missing and others broke)

5--TRANSMISSION

Drain plug was easy to locate. But when I went to fill it, I first noticed the "lower" fill plug, and tried filling it through there, but it didn't take very much fluid. Then after looking around, I noticed a "upper" fill plug, so I finished filling it through there. What's the point of the "lower" fill plug??? Or is that a portal to some other magical part that uses some other fluid and I shouldn't have put tranny fluid (I used gear lube)

6--SPARK PLUG WEAR (burning oil)

At the rate that I seem to be burning oil, I expected these plugs to look horrible, but from the looks of it, only one of them seems to be what I would call "wet".
What are your opinions???
They are laid out from Left to right being Passenger to Driver side, and the bottom row being closest to the radiator, and the top row being closes to the firewall.
Front Plugs
Rear Plugs (in my opinion, out of all 6 plugs, only the rear driver side one looks like something's wrong. what do you think???)

7--SUNROOF

I went to the carwash while driving around today, to see if the car leaked any water. Well it did.......right down the driver side A-pillar trip. Seems to be coming from the Sunroof. Is that common??? What's the fix for it???
Sleeper6

Re: 92 1.8L parts identification and locating help please

Post by Sleeper6 »

1- the tank by the radiator is the only spot where they system can actually bleed off air/recover fluid properly (the dealer actually calls it an air exchange tank Lol). I just make sure my system is full at the engine fill spot when cold and the overflow has 1/2 a tank in it, The filler you can get at a dealer or most junkyards (jy's) our message some members some have some I believe they even came in plastic or aluminum on some cars.

2- Dampner for vibrations, just bolts on to the alternator to absorb vibration, nothing special.

3-large cap, leave it its meant to be that way. the lil line would be best if it was open so your egr can function properly just get a lil nipple on your cai or i left mine open when i ran my egr just ziptied to my intake on the side

4- leaving them off all depends on how often you service your pads and how often you want to replace them

5 drain plug on the bottom, fill plug 1/2 way up on the front face of the transmission, same size. I use 75-90 gear oil, if your up with the maple leaf people you may want to use atf (autotrans fluid dex 3) I have heard -eh!

6 I dont think your #3 cyl is firing at all , that plug is way to clean... Did you try arcing it to make sure your getting spark there?

7sunroof, has drains attached at each quarter, you can try blowing air into them otherwise you need to pull the sunroof to clear the lines, check the mx-3.com main page fora link to the service manuals (it is a factory metal moonroof right?)

GL! :mrgreen:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Edit: Sleeper6 beat me to it. Lucky Dog. :lol:

Real quick though, serious suggestion... Stuff an air compressor hose into the sunroof drain. That WILL clear it out, unless something is compressing the drain line at the other end. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

Sleeper6 wrote: 6 I dont think your #3 cyl is firing at all , that plug is way to clean... Did you try arcing it to make sure your getting spark there?

7sunroof, has drains attached at each quarter, you can try blowing air into them otherwise you need to pull the sunroof to clear the lines, check the mx-3.com main page fora link to the service manuals (it is a factory metal moonroof right?)

GL! :mrgreen:
which one is #3??? on these engines, where is #1???

will take a look at those drain tubes today. thanks.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Disty will have plug #s on it, trace #3 to a cylinder.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Spark plugs if i recall correctly, feel free to check the FSM:

Firewall
________

1 2 3 |\,,,
4 5 6 |=''''
_________
\ Headlamps /
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

This might be helpful: http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/ it has just about any info you might need to work on these cars.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
davmac

Post by davmac »

Sleeper6 wrote:Spark plugs if i recall correctly, feel free to check the FSM:

Firewall
________

1 2 3 |\,,,
4 5 6 |=''''
_________
\ Headlamps /
Nice diagram but numbers start with front right and alternate between right and left heads:

Firewall
________

1 3 5 |\,,,
2 4 6 |=''''
_________
\ Headlamps /
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

MrMazda92 wrote:Edit: Sleeper6 beat me to it. Lucky Dog. :lol:

Real quick though, serious suggestion... Stuff an air compressor hose into the sunroof drain. That WILL clear it out, unless something is compressing the drain line at the other end. :lol:
I was going to do that now, but can't seem to find any drain holes by the sunroof. I'm trying the search function now, but just incase I don't find anything by the time you or anybody else sees this,

Were are the drain holes by the sunroof???
and where does the tube come out below???

Thanks.
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

Oh....forgot to update last night that I found and fixed/replaced the drain tube. it was actually broken and separated a couple inches down from the sunroof. I found it behind the A-pillar and traced it up and down from there. At the bottom, the hose was also kinked. so I went to the parts store, but some vacuum tube that was the same size as the hose that came out, and replaced the whole line.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”