how to install msd power tower on distributor cap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cout
antispam: No

how to install msd power tower on distributor cap?

Post by cout »

Trying to follow the instructions here:

http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm

but the pictures don't make it clear how to install the power tower. I think I ruined a perfectly good distributor cap.

Problems I ran into:
  • I tried to drill a small hole so the screw would make contact with the metal strip in the cap. I ended up drilling a 9/64" hole, which was just barely too small.
  • The screw wasn't long enough to reach to the end of the power tower. Should I have gone to the hardware store and gotten a longer screw?
  • I ended up drilling a much larger hole, hoping to get the head into the cap and the "feet" of the red tower into the cap, but to no avail (I think I need a larger bit).
  • What do I do with the little piece of steel wool they give me?
Frustrating to throw money down the drain.

I read somewhere that newer cars don't have the same problem as our older ones. Is that because of coil-on-plug or did they fix the problem in the distributor? I'm thinking of going back to the stock setup, because we've had two HEI modules fail on us (after 10 grueling hours on the track). They were properly grounded and we even ran a heat sink with thermal grease (just like on a computer CPU).
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog
Silkwyrm

Re: how to install msd power tower on distributor cap?

Post by Silkwyrm »

Yeah I wrecked a cap doing that too. Here's what I figured out.http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=79844
cout

Post by cout »

Nice pics! I think I have a slightly different cap than you.

I walked away for a while to cool off and when I got back I checked continuity. There's still continuity between both of the original connectors. So I drilled a smaller hole next to the larger one and screwed the bolt in there. A 9/64" bit seems perfect to get a nice snug fit.

I ended up buying a 3" 8-32 bolt and cutting 1/4" off the end.

There's continuity between the new post and the terminal where the rotor touches.

Waiting for the RTV to dry so I can it out.
cout

Post by cout »

The cap works, but the engine still breaks up when I make quick changes to the throttle.

What could cause this?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”