MX-6 Tranny Swap

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
VizualXTC

MX-6 Tranny Swap

Post by VizualXTC »

What is the point of swapping the MX-6 transmission? What are the bennefits, is there a down side? I would like to know, becuz in my persuit of speed, I would love to swap this if it would be beneficial.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
white fish

Re: MX-6 Tranny Swap

Post by white fish »

I could be wrong <BR>but I think the mx-6 tranny has a taller final gear witch will make you a bit slower but lower rpm on the highway
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG>I could be wrong <BR>but I think the mx-6 tranny has a taller final gear witch will make you a bit slower but lower rpm on the highway</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So in my persuit of speed, what would be best? Keeping the MX-3 Tranny, or swapping to another? (if tha latter, what tranny would be the best?)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

define "pursuit of speed".
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>define "pursuit of speed".</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pursuit of Speed (Per.soot uv sp?d) V. Looking to make car as fast as possible by any means necessary. :p<P>I just want to know why people are trading the MX-6 tranny. Thought it's gear set may make the car faster.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

You still haven't made it clear whether you want top speed or acceleration. I swapped to the MX-6 gearbox because it was cheaper. Having had both, I'd like my old gearset back, because it seems to just be so long between shifts. I havent had any track time yet, but I'm not guessing these gears helped it. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>You still haven't made it clear whether you want top speed or acceleration. I swapped to the MX-6 gearbox because it was cheaper. Having had both, I'd like my old gearset back, because it seems to just be so long between shifts. I havent had any track time yet, but I'm not guessing these gears helped it. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>sorry, I want acceleration. Top speed will be added longer down the road.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i suppose we're talking about manuals....<P>i have the mx-6 auto tranny.... it does have higher final gear so accelleration off the line is bothered, my shifts easily hit +5k out of first. But i like the fact that i can floor it out of first and not worry about a 4000 repair bill :). The biggest difference i feel is when you're coming to a red light and slowing down, then the light turns green, theres no bog or buck if you slam the gas again!
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”