B6 SOHC going turbo, need advice

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
slimas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

B6 SOHC going turbo, need advice

Post by slimas »

hey all,

i've decided to go turbo. Parts that i'm using:

:arrow: Citroen diesel turbo
:arrow: 323GTX 1.6 IC and piping
:arrow: 323GTX 1.6 AFM
:arrow: Custom made exhaust manifold

so the biggest question is - ECU. I'm not buying Megasquirt or any other ECU because this is a low-budget turbo project. I'm thinking about two things - since the standart SOHC ECU recognizes GTX's AFM and drives smoothly with it (all speeds) is it possible to boost to 0.8 bar with the standart ECU?
other option - take the standart SOHC ECU and write GTX's fuel map. I have a friend who does these things but the biggest headache is where to find it (the 323 GTX B6T fuel map)?
Mazda MX-3 1992 1.6 SOHC
Demonic1

Re: B6 SOHC going turbo, need advice

Post by Demonic1 »

B6T - (78.0x83.6 mm) - The ubiquitous turbocharged, fuel-injected and intercooled 16-valve DOHC B6

Without proper tuning and engine management it will run like garbage. You're trying to turbo a SOHC using DOHC specs. There are numerous other issues such as camshaft timing, air-fuel ratios, spool rates. This information is what the ECU does. Our ECUs are locked and not reprogrammable (unless someone has figured it out?) and a megasquirt system would be needed to do a custom program for a custom setup like this. You could use the B6T ECU and setup if you were using the B6T turbo, engine and all the other parts. But if one of these things gets changed then you will have major problems getting it to run right and risk total failure of the engine.

Check the for sale section, I've seen MS systems in there for ~200.
Light reading:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... imum+boost

Other forum members, correct me if I'm wrong.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

0.8bar is like 11 PSI.

You can't do that on the standard ECU. At almost double atmospheric, your ignition requirements will change. Fuel can be patched with aftermarket FPR's (to a degree, I doubt 11 PSI) but ignition... its cheaper to buy a new ECU.

Find the GTX/GTR one, or MS1 is only like $300 shipped to your door.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdamx3bds

Post by mazdamx3bds »

I dont think it even makes sense to turbo the 1.6 SOHC engine considering that it makes about 88hp standard, you are better off looking for a BP engine and run it N/A or turbo that engine. BP starts at around 132hp and is 1800cc.

When you look at the money that you will spend to turbo the SOHC properly, manifold, turbo, oil and water lines, intercooler, piping, engine management, blow off valve, gauges etc, it will not be a cheap undertaking.
Supertech Forged Pistons, ARP Studs, ACL Bearings, Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, T3 50trim Turbo,Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Custom Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, Megasquirt V2, RX7 460cc Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
wheelhop

Post by wheelhop »

Its worth it. . . viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76757&start=30

It's FAR more fun at 5-7 psi than it is now. No need to run that much boost.

And the stock cam profile works very, very well with boost. Apparently theres enough lobe separation to not run into issues and enough duration to still make it sing up top.

Return to “Forced Induction”