Coil On Plug Conversion

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
philks06
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Coil On Plug Conversion

Post by philks06 »

Is any one farmilar with this mod or has done it for a KLZE? I've seen one youtube video of done but would like more details on how to do it.
philks06

Re: Coil On Plug Conversion

Post by philks06 »

Is any one familiar with this mod or has done it for a KLZE? I've seen one youtube video of it done but would like more details on how to do it.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Coil packs have been installed but only in conjunction with turbos as far as I know.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Stock engine controller sends out a pulse to the disty for every spark event, and the distributor sends it to the proper cylinder.

COP requires the controller to distribute the spark, because you're eliminating the distributor.

So, now you need some electronics to know which cyl gets spark when.

Any engine management system will do this, Megasquirt being the most popular.

If you're lucky, there may be a MSD (or similar) product available that can read the NE1 and G signals in order to distribute the spark, without replacing the engine controller.

That being said, the stock ignition system is fine unless you have a large power adder such as a turbo, SC, or nitrous, or excessive RPM, beyond 8K. Its not your weakest link, upgrading it is not giving you the best returns for the money invested.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
philks06

Post by philks06 »

Thank you for the concise explaination thats exactly what I want to know
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

From what I remember, the ones from a Honda CBR 900RR fit right. I might do this, this summer. I want to see how high in the rpm range I can make power. The last time I dyno'd the guy shut it down while it was still making power, at 6900ish.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”