change the water pump w/o timing belt removal?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

change the water pump w/o timing belt removal?

Post by fowljesse »

Hey, gang. I'm changing my water pump, but don't need to do anything else because this summer, I'm going to change the cams, and a lot more. I just need to get it going again. I've done the whole job, but don't remember the setup well enough to know if I can *just* change the w/p. If I have to remove the timing belt, I'll just do everything now. Thanks for your knowledge!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Re: change the water pump w/o timing belt removal?

Post by wytbishop »

I believe you can remove the pump without removing the timing belt with some finaggling (sp?) but it's already such a hassel with the engine in the car that I'd remove it anyway just to get it out of the way I think. I guess I'd have to look at it with the timing covers off and go from there.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

It isnt very hard with the belt still on, just do the same steps you would to remove the belt cover and then just unbolt the bolts for the water pump. You do have to wiggle it around a bit to get it out and the new one back in place, but it's definately less work than removing the belt and resetting the timing.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
davmac

Post by davmac »

Haven't done the water pump without removing the timing belt, but it looks possible. No water pump bolts are covered by the tb or pulleys, but the engine mount bracket would definitely get in the way. So you will still have to remove and move all the accessories to get the timing covers off and I think you'll want to remove the front engine mount and bracket so you'll need to support the engine. My guess is you'll save a little time but if all you need now is a water pump it may be worth it. The picture at this link shows what you're up against. At least you can see all the water pump bolts.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

If its possible or not isn't the biggest problem you have with this... When it comes to doing the water pump you'll have coolant spilling out, last thing you want is that coolant all over your timing belt.. Over time it will deteriorate the belt and cause premature failure...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Its possible, and I wouldn't worry about the coolant. The belt isn't made of silk, it can take some abuse. I'd prefer coolant over oil on it though.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, everyone. I'm getting into it now..
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mikey_D
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mikey_D »

Yes you can change the water pump without removing the timing belt. You just have to wiggle it out. I have done it a couple times already (bad new waterpump the first time). I recommend putting a alittle tiny hole in your timing cover so you can see how the belt looks from time to time. You can always cover the hole with black tape. You don't even notice it.
Make Me A Offer I Might Sell It
94 Mazda Mx3 With the KLZE. Too Many Parts To List
94 Mazda Mx3 Stock (My Winter Beater/Parts car soon)
NEVER FOR SALE LIST
72 Buick Skylark
64 VW With the Meyers Manx Kit (currently in pieces, rebuilding the engine sadly)
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

ya you can! have fun!
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yay! It's done. I just had to put a tiny dot of silicone every few inches in the groove to keep the rubber ring in place as I finagled the pump into place.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”