KLZE Shift points? Drag strip launch techniques?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IMACHU2

KLZE Shift points? Drag strip launch techniques?

Post by IMACHU2 »

What RPM should a KLZE be shifted at to maximize acceleration?

(My KLZE is stock except an air intake and Pacesetter headers).

What is your drag strip launch technique(s)? (On Street Tires)
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: KLZE Shift points? Drag strip launch techniques?

Post by mikeinaus »

dont know much about drag but i though the ze stops making power around 6500rpm, so youd probably want to shift around there. have a look on the racing forum. i think there was a topic like this back in the day... launch would probably be about 2500 rpm mid/ 3/4 throttle. youll have to experiment, especially with your car. its alot lighter then most so youll probably end up with more wheel spin then the average mx3er.
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Thanks for your input, I was thinking with a world of MX-3 Knowledge on here a good solid clue could be found LOL. Although I have not scaled my car yet, I assume the buisness end of a 326 and a MX-3 are likely almost identical, my car just does not have the MX-3's bodacious booty. :lol: If you look at my car (MX-3 Eibach pro kit) it has a hotrod rake to it, which supports my MX-3 big booty theory. :shrug:

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Sorry off topic but wow that engine looks sexy! Nice work man.

The 323's we get here in Australia look crap compared to that. I quite like the look. It looks much like a Familia turbo we have here.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

ya id probably give up my mx3 for it. i was wondering.. are you planning on keeping this car forever or selling it off in the next couple years? from the amount of quality you've put in the build it looks like your making it to last. your car is probably as close to new as possible for a 20 year old car that is.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not all about where the ZE stops making power, but where you'll be in the RPM range when you shift into the next gear also. I always shifted at 7k, gave me my best times. Launches were hard, drops at around 3-4000rpms were the best launches, but I had so much wheel hop I was affraid to break something...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

RX8SE3P wrote:Sorry off topic but wow that engine looks sexy! Nice work man.

The 323's we get here in Australia look crap compared to that. I quite like the look. It looks much like a Familia turbo we have here.
Thanks! Ya this car started life as a 1.6L 5spd. The V6 never came in a 323. I swapped it in using thousands of MX-3 parts. LOL The only body mods are the Hella fog lights, a First gen MX-6 front lip (cut down to fit) and a optional
(in Canada/ USA? rear hatch spoiler).
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

mikeinaus wrote:ya id probably give up my mx3 for it. i was wondering.. are you planning on keeping this car forever or selling it off in the next couple years? from the amount of quality you've put in the build it looks like your making it to last. your car is probably as close to new as possible for a 20 year old car that is.
I am not 100% sure what my future plans for the car are. It's original purpose of being a daily driven summer car are working out well. I did not intend to fall in love with it :love: It was supposed to be something to thrash around in daily in the summer cause my other project car had become to valuable / sentimental to drive daily. I am actually thinking about selling the Mustang now. Considering putting a Turbo or a supercharger on the 323, Coil-overs and a LSD. :shrug: I struggle with it's front wheel drive-ness and I am considering leaving well enough alone. (I am really happy with it as-is) :shrug:

IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:It's not all about where the ZE stops making power, but where you'll be in the RPM range when you shift into the next gear also. I always shifted at 7k, gave me my best times. Launches were hard, drops at around 3-4000rpms were the best launches, but I had so much wheel hop I was affraid to break something...
Kool Thanks, This is what I have been doing on the street, but, I was not sure it would translate well to the track and I was concerned the 7000RPM shifts might hurt it, or that 7000RPM shifts were pointlessly high. I have KLDE and K8 heads to rob the valve retainers out of, so far mine are stock KLZE.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I tried shifting at 6500 back in the day at the track and it was slower for me. My ZE was revved to 7k several times daily (for 100'000kms), but never higher.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on May 8th, 2012, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

I rev the piss out of mine all the time, mind you I only have approx 1400km on it since the install. Top speed so far was 224 km/h, with a busted mx-3 tranny.
But I find shifting around 7,000 nets me the best acceleration.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

To avoid wheelspin, I launch at about 2500, and when it grabs, I try to not completely stomp it. I'm not very practiced, though. I pretty much flat shift when it's screaming, but I don't look at the speedo. It's probably at about 7k, so it picks up in the next gear in the torque range. In the video I have, I have 2 full seconds of wheel spin.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCHjC5gh94

Just a simple youtube vid of a guy doing some pretty decent speeds and revs. Definitely agree, 7K shifting will get you above 5000rpms in your next gear. This would keep you very near/at peak torque.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”