New ECU = new fun :) / Now with FAN ISSUE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Josh
Supporting Member

New ECU = new fun :) / Now with FAN ISSUE

Post by Josh »

So, the 94 GS has been running 95 klde ecu with a KL02 VAF on the ZE. SO!!! Just changed the VAF out to a JE50 and installed the KL36 ecu, I did not change the disty, and the results are a completely new car... I am not joking! Such an improvement, idle is better, smoother, power band is stronger, the engine is way more responsive. Now I just need to change that KLG4 mani on there and it will just about be complete.

Sorry just had to share :)
Last edited by Josh on May 8th, 2012, 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clappy

Re: New ECU = new fun :)

Post by Clappy »

how bout you share where i can get my hands on the KLZE ECU.. :)
-----------------
Tim
09 Dodge Challenger SXT
08 G5 White
93 MX3 SE Red
94 MX3 V6 Black
95 MX3 V6 Blue/purple
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Nice! I am kind of curious about the g4 manifold are you gonna put that in soon?
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Im putting mine on next month if he doesnt get his on :mrgreen:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah, I just got my dremel out of storage... So , soon very soon. I had planed on making my own thermal gaskets at the the same time but I think I am going to wait. I want to hit up the dyno and get some more base runs but I don't feel like spending 60 bucks :)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Ok so now that I have driven on it a bit, IT still is better. But I noticed this evening my engine was running warm, so when I got home and opened the hood the fan relay was clicking and the fan would engage for like a second and kick off doing it over and over. I read before that people had issues with the fan turning off but not like this. Any thoughts?

Do I need to change the relay out to a different one? There is an extra coolest sensor run and it is tapped unit the ECU, possibly bad sensor?

All thoughts welcome :)
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

i guess its possible it could be a bad sensor. try unplugging the coolant sensors 1 at a time and seeing if they fix the problem. the fan would come on instantly but if it does it would make sense the sensor is faulty...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Could be a bad coil in the relay, I've had them to that to be before.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

OK, that is where I was going to start later today. Weird it was working fine with the DE ecu and now not. But things go out. My first thought is a bad sensor, second is the relay. It is getting power and switch on for a second then turning off then on and so on, so I think it has got to be one of the two.

Anyone know if a Mellenia uses a different fan relay than the MX3?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya I kept blowing relays for my first CarPC setups, drawing too close to the max the relay could handle, I could tell when it was gone when it would do the "click-click" when I turned it on and nothing happened.

Depends, if it's a regular automotive relay, than anyone will do, if it's a "special" one, if it fits in the socket, it'll work, they don't change unless they're really different, than it won't fit at all.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well some brief research on Rock Auto the MX3, 2.5 626, and the 2.5 Mellenia all use a different fan relay but use the same fan switch and coolant temp sensors. Seeing as though the DE ECU had no issues with the relay I think I am going to try the Mellenia relay and see if that changes things.

I will have to check my manuals when I get home for wiring schematics to make sure they are the same.
davmac

Re: New ECU = new fun :) / now with slight issue

Post by davmac »

You might start with the fan (apply power and confirm it stays on) and work your way back. Don't know if your fan and wiring to it are original equipment. My personal experience is corrosion in the connector to the fan and then a year later the fan itself giving up completely. Of course you may find problem with the relay or temp sensor which can also be tested.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: New ECU = new fun :) / Now with FAN ISSUE

Post by Josh »

SO been working on the fan issue, and it was not one of the three fan relays. So before it was not cycling properly, the fan would come on for a seccond and then off and repeat. Now when warm the fan will come on and stay on. It is not cycling. So I think I may have narrowed it down to the top or 3rd coolant sensor. I tested the Ohms and it is supposed to measure out at 1.04 ohms and it measured out at like 7.04. That could be an issue. And it is wired up correctly per all the threads I have found on it. I guess I will try swapping that out first and go from there.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I had a faulty sensor recently. I'm fairly certain it was the the one closest to the coolant cap, which is the one the ECU uses to base air/fuel mixtures on.

Mine was cracked a bit from too much playing around on my behalf. Fans would come on intermittently in quick succession. Engine would also get rough at times. Turned out it was faulty and always thought it was too cold, thus ran rich, and made the fans come on and off a lot. It must have thought, oh it's hot now, turn the fans on, no wait it's cooled down, turn off again etc.

Changed it for the one I had on my K8 engine. All of a sudden I gained much more power and better fuel economy, and no more intermittent fan issue.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

RX8SE3P wrote:Changed it for the one I had on my K8 engine. All of a sudden I gained much more power and better fuel economy, and no more intermittent fan issue.
People underestimate the function of the coolant temp sensors on power and fuel economy...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”