mx6 rear anti-sway/stabilizer end links

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
stepchyld

mx6 rear anti-sway/stabilizer end links

Post by stepchyld »

So basically, I found out mx6 rear anti-sway/stabilizer bar end links will work on the mx3.

My recent addition to my 'collection' is a 95 RS atx that saw one heck of an accident some years back. Most of the physical damage had already been repaired, so the car was presentable. I got it cheap after it broke down and the owner didn't bother trying to figure out what happened to it, but was happy to get it off his hands. That's a story in and of itself, lol, but I won't go into that now...

After a few test runs in it after replacing valve cover gasket and spark plugs, I noticed the rear end felt odd. Jacked it up, and found the rear link on passenger side was broke.
Bought a new one from AutoZone, but didn't check it before leaving. Wrong Link! Should've checked before diving into the project, but I was ready to get it done.

I checked the parts I got off the 2nd gen mx6 I had, and saw the end links were nearly identical, the mx6 link is about 5/16" longer than the mx3. I searched, but didn't find a definite answer on compatibility.
I decided to go for it, since I had what I needed to do it.
Link bolted in fine.
Was going to replace both links, since uneven length on the links didn't sound like the best idea, but I could only get one link off the mx6's bar, the other stripped out.

I can't say for certain the rear end will feel 'normal' again, since I'm now in a fight with motor mounts, but will post driving results after I conquer the mounts and go for another test drive...

I must note the bar seems to have been bent in the wreck, which also, I presume, broke the old link. I'm hoping the bend will compensate for the longer link, or vice-versa. It could also stress the link and break it, in which case I'll have to remove and attempt to straighten the bend. I'd rather test this possibility with a free link than a brand new one any day....

Anyway, thought I'd relay my findings, in case anyone else is curious about it... and if so, I'll post the results of long-term use.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: mx6 rear anti-sway/stabilizer end links

Post by Ryan »

I'd replace that other link soon, so they're the same length. Unequal length will kill them quickly, as they're always under load in that case, some bumps increasing it further.

But that should be the only ill effect.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Thanks, Ryan, I was thinking the same thing... Bummer I couldn't get the other mx6 link off.
If the car ends up doing well enough for long-term use, I will most likely replace one of the links. I'll probably get another mx3 link to replace the one from the mx6.
I'll take a few more pics and try to post them this evening sometime, comparing the sides to assess possible damage to the bar itself.
Has anyone tried to straighten a bent anti-sway bar?
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

its spring steel, I doubt you bent it.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Seems unlikely to me too. But the angle for the link seems different from the other side, and this was the side that sustained most of the damage.

I just went back outside to take the pics I forgot about earlier while fighting the rear engine/transmission mount, which was another mission accomplished, btw.

The bar isn't bent... The collision didn't just break the link, it pushed the bar out of center, toward the driver side.
I'll loosen the mounts and use some 'gentle persuasion' to get it back to center.

Given the 5/16" difference in lengths of the end links, think I should re-center the bar now or wait till after I install matching links?
I think the difference may be compensated for, to a degree, by the bar being off center, re-centering the bar could increase the load they're under. Any thoughts?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you observe it with both tires off the ground?

Everything you say makes sense. If the bar was pushed over towards the side with the shorter link, pushing it back with the unequal links would indeed be a step in the wrong direction.

I'd say only push it back when you get two links of the same length

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Don't see that as an insult, but it is interesting...
I wanted to reduce the load on the links and bar while replacing the passenger side link. So, I noticed the angle difference with both tires off the ground, looking through the wheel well. I initially tried to fix the link, by pressing it back together, but though it kinda worked, I didn't think it'd last. I checked the other link, and noticed it was sitting at a different angle from the one I was working on.
I'd already replaced the link and put both tires on the ground when I went out to take pics from underneath the rear. Then, I saw the marks on the bar from the bushings, and it had obviously shifted to the driver side at some point. Wish I'd looked under the rear when tires were off the ground, not sure why I didn't...

It could be possible, when I lowered the car, the links caused a load and shifted the bar. That's an interesting thought. But, the bar was damaged on the passenger side (coating is damaged and bar metal is rusting on the outer part of the curve), and the link busted, on the low end, where it connects to the bar. The 'bell' on that lower end of the link was bent upwards, preventing the link's metal ring from even touching the part of the link bolted to the bar.
Could've shifted in the accident, then shifted again due to the uneven links...
Really wish I'd checked before lowering the car now!

Thanks for the advice, and the thoughts!
I'll let it ride for now, and see what it does. I'll re-center the bar when I replace the mx6 link.
Matching links are a must
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

What happened to the car? Drive over some rough s---, or get hit?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Looks like both: hit something on front passenger side and went over it, and probably got hung up under the rear tire.
You can tell from the crappy paint job the hood, fenders, and bumper cover were replaced. Car is white, parts used to be red. white paint is flaking off... I knew immediately when checking out the car it'd be an interesting mess, since it was 94+ interior, but hood had the rare 92 emblem...
Airbags deployed, but they didn't replace them, just sealed the panel on the dash and the steering wheel. Looks UGLY.
The front corner took quite a hit, and there's a gouge on the underside that runs from front suspension to rear suspension. Also a lot of bondo was used on the lower part of the body before the rear tire.
The exhaust pipe is broke just after the flange connection, right by the link, on the muffler side. Could be impact-related, but might not be. My old RS exhaust broke in the same area several years ago. My GS exhaust broke right where the pipe goes into the muffler. Maybe that's a weak area for the exhaust system, I've considered adding another hanger or a brace.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sounds like it was in a hell of a mess :(

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

It was, and still kinda is...
I'd like to see what it looked like before they 'fixed' it, but then part of me doesn't want to know... Likely it skirted insurance, else it may have been considered 'totaled'...

I bought it as a parts car, but it's worth some work to see how it'll be on the road. Get a full assessment of all the parts before making a final decision.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Took the car for a test drive, a few miles of dirt road, and rear end felt much better than before. Links look fine after the drive.
Even mismatched good links are better than a broken one, lol

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”