My dumbest "supermod" idea ever!!!

Off-Topic Discussions
wytbishop

My dumbest "supermod" idea ever!!!

Post by wytbishop »

So the other day I was walking my dog and there's a guy in my neighobrhood who has a Monster Miata with LS1 drivetrain and he drove by and I was all like..."I should build a Monster MX-3!!!"...

But then I was all like..."But the MX-3 is FWD and any good monster car must be RWD..."

and then I was all like..."I bet a guy could take an MX-3 body, remove the front inner fenders and everything right down to the firewall, remove the floor and build a tubular subframe and set it right on top of a custom hotrod chassis."

...Like this one...

I mean obviously it's not going to be plug and play. The width would have to be "fitted", the engine is too far back, a tunnel would have to be built...etc. But I have managed to figure out that the C3 Corvetter (64'-82') has very close to the same wheelbase and track widths as the MX-3. So that frame, which is custom made for C3 Vette owners to put their body on and upgrade to C6 running gear, has its wheels in the same place as ours.

I figure if you relocated the stock rad support in its original positionso that the fenders could go back in their right places that monster engine might just fit in the MX-3 engine bay..real cozy like....but it fits in a Miata so why not?

Of course you'd have to relocate everything under the dash cuz there'd be a huge hole for the transmission where the HVAC console should be...but you could probably still have the radio in the stock location...maybe.

And then the shifter on the Vette tranny probably wouldn't line up just right in the stock location either...but c'mon...minor detail...

I told you it was crazy. These are the things I think about.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Re: My dumbest "supermod" idea ever!!!

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Heck why not, http://www.newmancarcreations.com/ my dad had a plan when he retires for good to do up a 55 Chevy with new corvette c5 or c6 stuff anything is possible.

Barry
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I can't believe I"m not getting flamed to the 7th circle of hell for this post.

DISAPPOINTED!!!
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by cWs306 »

flamed? why would you say that.. this is actually quite a good idea. if i had a garage and knew how to weld like a pro. id so make an attempt at it. i wish someone would step up to the plate and giver a shot.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

well you will also need about $30k.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Try 50K
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah...you're probably right.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Im more dissappointed you didnt want to atleast make it with a rwd setup KL Twin turbo :wink:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I've thought about it for a long time...years honestly and I know that the KL has a lot of potential, but if you really want to go all the way I have decided I would go big displacement. With the big block V8 you get unlimited aftermarket, bulletproof transmissions and rear ends and wicked awesome corvette suspension. No, it's not Mazda, but that's not really the point of this particular pipe dream.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

This post is almost as stupid as the idea to build an amphibious MX3. I do like this car tho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4cw565V98
However here's something even stupider,,,yes I said stupider. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX-zdeLc ... D37897F722

There, you happy now? :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I used to work at a shop where we took a c5 vette chasis, and put a 1932 packard coupe convertable on it, using the c5's drivetrain. It required a custom suspension setup and obviously a modified frame, but it was badass in the end.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

HOLY $&*@! Barry's here! It's like a frickin Loch Ness Monster sighting!
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wytbishop wrote:HOLY $&*@! Barry's here! It's like a frickin Loch Ness Monster sighting!
No, more like, Elvis is in the building. :P
So now where is the elusive EGR. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/images/avata ... atar17.gif
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'd considered this, granted I didn't actually look into compatible frames or cars...

I'm sure you could do it for $20,000, if you plan it out for a few years and get everything lined up ahead of time. Avoiding trial and error wherever possible will save you thousands... It's not a bad idea, just too rich for my blood at this point.

It certainly wouldn't be an MX-3 anymore though :P Granted, it'd look like one... which makes it worth it.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Off-Topic”