swapped from 1.6 cluster to 1.8 cluster, tach problems

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
im2bad4ya

swapped from 1.6 cluster to 1.8 cluster, tach problems

Post by im2bad4ya »

I swapped my 92 RS cluster for a GS cluster, since my fuel gauge needle was broken and temp gauge was non-op and am soon going to do a BP swap. So now I have both of these gauges working but the tachometer is not reading properly. It works though, when I rev, it runs up, when idle it stays where it should, but it seems to be miscalibrated. the car redlines at 6.4K but the tach reads somewhere around 4K. Could this be a bad tachometer? If it is, could I swap the old one into this new cluster? Anyone see this before?

BTW, since I've had the car, I never had the speedometer working cause the cable is broken, so that's a non-issue for now until after I do the BP swap.

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Nd4SpdSe

Re: swapped from 1.6 cluster to 1.8 cluster, tach problems

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1.8 cluster from a V6? I can't see it working 100%. I know for aftermarket tachometers, there's a switch on them for 4cyl, v6 and V8's. Now, you'd thing that firing off of say Cyl1 on any motor, that it wouldn't matter how many cylinders the motor had cause going back to firing #1 would be a completely cycle anyway, but I guess not

I don't know of anyone whose done the swap between GS andRS clusters to say if it'll work or not, but from what I've seen in aftermarket gauges, I want to say it won't work correctly.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by cWs306 »

Wouldnt it be off because of the different transmissions and everything? your best bet for a new cluster is a junk yard and or ebay for the oh so famous indigo blue/white set that most of us have. haha :freak:
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

well these gauges were pulled off a MTX which is fine because my car is also MTX. I also read in the Electronics FAQ that all gauges are swappable (save for the cable driven speedo). I was under the impression that a meter is a meter across all platforms, and the difference might not be with the gauge, but maybe in the ECU reading the gauge. but to ND4SpdSe's point, if what he is saying is accurate, I could simply swap my old RS tach into the new gauge, unless the signal reading the tach is built or hardwired into the cluster or the ECU. Anyone else have any input? If not, my next step is to see who might wanna swap gauges, or I''d sell the one's I have first and buy RS gauges after.

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The tach doesn't get affected by the trans, it's driven off the coil of the motor anyway.
im2bad4ya wrote:I also read in the Electronics FAQ that all gauges are swappable (save for the cable driven speedo). I was under the impression that a meter is a meter across all platforms.
That I wasn't aware of. Hopefully I'm wrong.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

was this ever resolved?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This wouldn't be hard to sort out. Print out the copies of the B6 cluster pinout and the GS cluster pinout and match it up. The VSS readings should be the same, the sensors have the same number of teeth, as far as I know.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well if it's of any issue, I have a few clusters laying around...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Since the swap I've been using my RS gauge with the wimpy 6.5K redline. It's fine, since it's practical, I know the true redline of the car........but still, I didn't wanna settle for this. So this is what I found out.

The tachometer gauge itself screws on to a circuit board that controls it. As far as you're concerned, the tachometer just reads the signal off the circuit board. So in essence, both tachs are the same, mechanically speaking, and the difference is in the circuit board.

This is the GS tach circuit board:

Both boards are the same with a few exceptions. After swapping the GS tach to the RS circuit board, SUCCESS! It functions properly. So there you have it, no more having to slip on GS indiglow gauges on to RS tachs to get the redline right. :D

So there are two ways to go about this. You can buy the GS tach and put it on the RS circuit board or if you wanna go the cheaper route and you're good with a soldering iron, just replace the components and you should have the same thing. I took the liberty of making a chart of the differences. I used a multimeter just to make sure the resistors were correct. You can see the notes for resistor R6, but I guess it doesn't make a difference since they're both the same on both circuit boards. All you gotta do is change R7, C3, C7, D1 & D2. Unfortunately I could't figure out the specs on the diodes, just the letters printed on them. If anyone can tell me more and figure out the values, I'd be more than happy to update the chart. You can buy these components at Radio Shack, mouser.com, digikey.com, etc. Also if anyone wants to double check my list, please do so, I want to make sure it's absolutely correct before it becomes the law of the land. :o

ethand

Post by ethand »

A much simpler option, I would think, is what I did when I broke my fuel/temp gauges. I simply swapped the fuel/temp gauge from the new unit into the old one. Then it worked perfectly. Haha...
There were no issues with things not reading properly, or anything like that. I just took the face off both sets of gauges, unscrewed the 6 screws to the fuel gauge from the back of the unit, and swapped it straight over. I put the old cluster (with the new fuel/temp gauge) into the car. boom. sorted :)
I figured that swapping the fuel/temp gauge was much simpler than a rev counter, etc., because the rev counter has all the wiring & other crap for the odometer behind it, as well as the speedo gauge.
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”