Started driving it and problems begin

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Started driving it and problems begin

Post by hgallegos915 »

YAY I just love our cars :D lol

Well it looks like my throwout bearing is going going gooiiiiing... In idle I can hear it... when I press the clutch it goes away. I had this happen about 4 years ago. Around 3 years ago I replaced the cluthc with a spec clutch , orderd a new fidanza wheel surface new bearing , everything new. ANd 3 years later bleh... :/ I hate it that I have to take out the engine for this as my turbo pipes are in the way.

To add to insult, I can hear noise as if a bearing is bad.. I cant tell if its left or right. I lifted the car on two wheels started it and no bounce. The tires are tight and have no play. I dont know what I need to replace :/ I guess im stating with bearings and going from there.

Dies the half shaft bearing ever go bad?

also thos car is OLD

260 thousand miles on the clock, bearings are about 3 years old. Shafts are new. Half shaft is original.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Started driving it and problems begin

Post by PATDIESEL »

Hey Hec, there is a bearing in the half shaft, but you need the bearing number to get a new one. I think Mazda wants to sell the whole shaft, which is expensive of course. If you press the bearing out of the shaft you can read a number on the side of the bearing. Use that number with a bearing supplier and you can order a new one for a lot cheaper.
Too bad on the throwout bearing, they are not that easy to get to... :(
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well I do have the half shaft somewhere around but my new diagnosis is not a good one :(

So I checked transmission oil level and it was missing two bottles. So yeah its been low and this noise sounds like ift may be a transmission.

It was my understanding that a transmission low on fluid will not even shift right??

Ill replace the shaft anyway to see what happened. I doubt its the wheel bearings.

Has anyone here or anyone eard of people in an mx3 gs run without transmission oil and what were the results?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Is it a 5 speed?
I have driven a taxi for almost 10000 km's with the transmission case cracked, not a single drop of oil inside. The only real difference you notice is a little more gear noise. That's it.
If it's an automatic, when the ATF goes down to a certain level, it'll start slipping. After that, it'll burn the clutches, and will stop shifting at all.

I had a similar problem to what you're describing on my '91 Protege (5 speed). All of a sudden, the car started to make a noise that sounded a lot like a wheel bearing, but I couldn't clearly say which wheel had the problem. After months going crazy about it, and replacing both wheel bearings, I ended figuring out the problem was inside the tranny. Today, I've had the transmission disassembled for more than 7 years, and still haven't found the problem. My money is on the main shaft or differential bearings.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Im thinking differential bearings but honestly... Im gonna drive it until it goes.. It has to be...

The bearings have no play at all... I will replae the center half shaft that connects to the passenger side of transmissiom.

It is a manual transmission.

Also since the release bearing is starting to make a little bit of noise, Ill have to open the transmission up anyways later on but not anytime soon I hope.
-hec

DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

I have the same problem too..When it is in idle there is a sound like an air leaking.When i press the clutch it goes away..The sound come from transmission and it is from the day i bought the car..I think three years.No problem so far with the oil.
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Inodoro Pereyra

Yup, that's exactly what I did. At the time, I didn't have the tools to drop the tranny and there wasn't a junkyard in Miami that'd sell one at a reasonable price, so I drove more than 50000 miles with the noise. The bad part is it'll get louder, to the point that your car will become a real head turner... :wink:
Either way, never had a problem, other than the stupid noise. :shrug:
It makes sense to get another tranny, and replace the throw out bearing (or the whole clutch, if needed) at the same time.

Deadmaker: same as hector, looks like you're in for a new throw out bearing.

Diogenes of Sinope.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Yes from the search also i did in the internet,basically on youtube,it seems that the bearing is the issue,cause when you press the clutch the noise is off.
I think i will change all the clutch kit when the time comes so i will not have to bring down the transmission two times..
Btw how about this product?Any experience?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTR-STAG ... ccessories
Inodoro Pereyra

I don't know much about brands (maybe somebody else can help on that), but that clutch is a stage 3. I wouldn't use it for the street, unless you want to really train your left leg... :shock:
If your engine is stock, a stage 1 clutch would be enough. Or a stage 2, if you're planning to add more power.

Diogenes of Sinope.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

I thought that it gets harder if the clutch is mechanic..?As far as i know my clutch is hydraulic and all mx3 too..
Inodoro Pereyra

The hydraulic clutch multiplies the force from your foot by a given amount, and so does a properly designed mechanic clutch, but in both cases the force comes from your foot.

It's not like the brakes, for example, that are power assisted, yet here, actually lies the confusion.
Most people think "hydraulic brakes" is the same as "power brakes", and it's not. Just as with the hydraulic clutch, the hydraulic brake system provides some "boost", based on he different distances your foot and the caliper/pressure plate must travel, but that's about it. Other than that, it's just a more convenient and safer way to transmit the force to all 4 wheels at the same time.
The power brake, takes vacuum from the engine to help you produce more force on the caliper, so your foot is not doing the braking, but the brake booster is.

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”