Need Tranny Details please

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Need Tranny Details please

Post by Pritchett »

So, as I get ready to do swap #2...well 1.5 since I had a mechanic help me last time. I was wondering if I should swap out my tranny. It's the original 1.8L mx-3 MTX, it has 280,000km on it. What tranny are you using and how many km's/miles are on it, how hard do you drive it and how well is it holding up? Thanks guys!!
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
PATDIESEL

Re: Need Tranny Details please

Post by PATDIESEL »

Preyy much any trans that will fit the GS is the same in gearing, housikng and stregnth. The Mx6 G series looks identical but has a very slightly higher final drive meaning you'll run slightly lower RPMs for your given speed and gear. I've busted one trans in 160k miles and I race the car as often as I can (circuit racing, no "sanctioned" drags). I would say any G series from a V6 with a smooth shift would be as good as any other.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Thanks, just looking for peoples numbers. Like I said mine has almost 300,000km on it but it was smooth when everyhing went down hill with my last swap, just don't know if I should chance it.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

240k miles on my 626 tranny with my ze in the dd and it's still running super smooth... just took it apart recently to install an LSD... no problems! I've always treated it pretty rough :lol: not sure if this lifespan is normal? the mx-3 tranny in my race car with the other ze has close to 200k miles as well with no issues...
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Awesome, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!!
99 silverado
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My original K8 trans lasted 240'000kms, my ZE swap done at 141'000kms. I'm the one that messed up my gears when the slave went in the middle of D.C. traffic....
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

100,000km is a lot, thanks for your reply!!
99 silverado

Return to “Transmissions”