Non-operational Temperature gauge

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
im2bad4ya

Non-operational Temperature gauge

Post by im2bad4ya »

A while back, I tried installing glow gauges and i removed the gas/temperature gauges from the cluster. I've never had the temp gauge working properly since. I recently did a coolant flush and also replaced the thermostat and sensor, but my temp gauge still isn't working properly.

What happens is the gauges will read properly for the first 5 mintues, while the engine heats up. After that, the needle shoots past the H and stays there until I turn off the car and the engine is cool. Now the problem has come to bite me back in the arse because my engine has overheated on me three time this month (another problem that's already being fixed), and I could have shut-off my car before I saw the smoke billow out from under my hood. Needless to say, I want to get my gauges working properly. If all else fails, I'll buy a whole cluster.

Besides replacing the thermostat and sensor, I'm also troubleshooting the cluster and gauge with a multimeter, to make sure all the proper connections are being made. Everything is making contact, except for the diode. The gauge has one resistor and one diode.

So when I test the diode, nothing passes through. Is current SUPPOSED TO pass through the diode? Could this be my problem? And if it is, does anyone know amp and voltage of the diode???

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Non-operational Temperature gauge

Post by Ryan »

You could have screwed the windings as well. Just buy a new cluster and don't mess it up when you install the gauges again. They won't be expensive if you buy it on here.

Diodes flow one direction, I can't make out if you're checking the right direction in that picture because of the focus. Normally the side with the band on it is the negative side. Also, all diodes have a voltage 'hump' that you have to surpass for it to flow, your multimeter probably doesn't put out enough. Use a 9v battery and a small light bulb to check for a short moment.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

tried checking in both directions, with nothing getting through. I guess I'll just invest in a new cluster

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

post a WTB, it shouldn't be bad.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”