Back hatch/trunk cover - DIY...?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
czwan

Back hatch/trunk cover - DIY...?

Post by czwan »

My MX-3 is in such old, crusty shape that this is the last thing I should even be thinking about. But just out of curiosity, any of you guys replace or make your own back hatch cover? Gotta be likely since the stock thing that came with the car is so flimsy. I remember mine was all dented & caving in from the get go. Seems like it was a crappy little hinged thing, with 2 straps that were supposed to raise it up when the hatch was opened. It's a weak little carpet-y plastic thing, and inevitably, someone's gonna set something too heavy on it, and it gets all bent and dented in.

I did what I'm guessing a lot of MX-3 owners might have done--measured the area, cut out a piece of thin plywood that size, and glued thin black carpet on top. I also cut out 2 holes for 6x9 speakers, which was sort of a lazy way to "upgrade" & bypass the little stock speakers that are mounted back there in the plastic sides of the trunk.

I was just thinking about this since I noticed mine's gotten pretty beat up again--the sheet of wood (luan?) I used was probably too thin, and is starting to break. Thought it would be cool to hear about, or see pics, of what others around here did to "upgrade" the back trunk cover thingie.

:idea:
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Back hatch/trunk cover - DIY...?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

People have all the time. I did one to point my CarPC on, J-Beef and others have for subwoofers.

THere's also this:
http://evilyeti.com/
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fillpereira
antispam: No

Post by fillpereira »

Just found this online, not my style but i thought it was unique....

OkieOFT
antispam: No

Post by OkieOFT »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:People have all the time. I did one to point my CarPC on, J-Beef and others have for subwoofers.

THere's also this:
http://evilyeti.com/
Is that site even still active? I did a repair job on my hatch cover the but where the pivot brackets mount is just too weak to hold it up. I'd order one but their last update was 2007...
94 MX-3 RS Blaze Red

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”