I understand how people get several car's now... (pics)

Off-Topic Discussions
Evo_Spec

I understand how people get several car's now... (pics)

Post by Evo_Spec »

I just want to make it clear that i am in no way trying to brag or anything of the sort, so please don't start ranting off on me or try to make it some kind of competition and start going on about how you have more cars.
i just wanted to share me story with everyone here as it's my favorite forum! so if you have a story about how you acquired several cars as well, please share!

So somehow i have 4 car's in my possesion and it was not my intention at all to do this on purpose, it just kind of happened.
Actually i've had 2 cars for quite a long time, I had my MX-3 and my GF's 240SX and i only got the other 2 cars in the last month or so

Now the 240SX was bought by my GF when she was with her ex from a guy who had it as a project car because the car was/is quite rusty but he never really worked on it so he decided to sell it. They were going to do a custom SHO engine swap and do the body work and paint the car.
There's a whole story to what happened but to make it short her ex basically sanded down the whole car and replaced the coolant with water cause he was draining fluids but needed something from the store and he never got back to it and left the water in there through the winter and screwed the engine. (water spews out somewhere)
The car still kind of ran but not good at all, i got barely it into my shed/garage and it didn't start again after that.
Before.
After the ex got to it. (we were touching it up a bit hoping to paint, but didn't get around to it)

So after a while i thought i would get my GF a car so i didn't have to drive her to work all the time and so if i was busy she wouldn't have to take the bus and a list came up for a 87 Camaro V6 T-top with a bad steering column for $500, i read online that the 3rd gen Camaro's steering columns have bolts that come loose because the factory didn't use lock-tite to secure the bolts and it's a pretty simple procedure to fix so i went to check the car out and it was in decent condition, but more importantly the car ran fantastic and started on a dime, it could still drive with the bad steering column but wasn't very safe, so i offered the guy $425 and he accepted then i drove it home and parked it and haven't gotten around to fixing it XD (although just today i did pick up some tools needed to fix the steering column so hopefully she'll be fixed very soon)
ImageImage

So if you've seen my worklog at all, you would of read that my water pump in my MX-3 recently went on me which left me with no car for about a week or so.
Then one day my brother called me, "how you doing? i heard your car went down. Well i got a new car so if you can make it down to Calgary you can have my old car cause i didn't sell it yet"
I was very lucky because my cousin who lives in Edmonton just happened to be making a trip to Calgary the next day, so i hitched a ride with him and picked up my brothers old car, i didn't even have to pay anything because the car was still registered and my name was put into the insurance when i got my license and my brother set the insurance to parking, so all i had to do was call and have it switch back to driving again. in fact my brother left $2 dollers of change in the change pocket so it's like he paid me to take it! XD

This is how my drive way looks now. (the 240 is in the shed)
ImageImage

So that's my long a-- story!
it feels awesome to own so many car's, but hurts a lot to have only one car properly running XD
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: I understand how people get several car's now... (pics)

Post by Ryan »

I know what you mean, I somehow ended up with 5 cars on my yard.... rolled my RS, parked it in the garage, bought a green GS, drove it. Bought a black GS, fixed it, and bought a red GS, swapped it, and somehow aquired a free MX-6 LS parts car. All in one year.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Evo_Spec wrote:it feels awesome to own so many car's
Oh indeed I know what you mean! When I had my Mx-3 and Xterra parked side-by-side, I was so excited and happy: "How I finally have my truck AND my car", I had that picture as my desktop ever since, and that's almost 3 years ago. Unfortunately I haven't had the X home since I've gotten the Rx8, so go group picture of them until spring. I look forward to where I get up in the morning and have to choose what to drive :driver:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:it feels awesome to own so many car's
Oh indeed I know what you mean! When I had my Mx-3 and Xterra parked side-by-side, I was so excited and happy: "How I finally have my truck AND my car", I had that picture as my desktop ever since, and that's almost 3 years ago. Unfortunately I haven't had the X home since I've gotten the Rx8, so go group picture of them until spring. I look forward to where I get up in the morning and have to choose what to drive :driver:
i don't get a choice cause their all broken down XD
but it shouldn't be too long till i can!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Evo_Spec wrote:i don't get a choice cause their all broken down XD
but it shouldn't be too long till i can!
Exactly, there's not some hunks of metal parts caars; they're cars that need some minor TLC and are easilly able to hit the streets again.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Evo_Spec wrote:it feels awesome to own so many car's, but hurts a lot to have only one car properly running XD
I know your pain :lol: ...currently have 5 vehicles, and only 1 runs/drives :( ...But it will be great once I can get all my projects driving
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

hotsiit wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:it feels awesome to own so many car's, but hurts a lot to have only one car properly running XD
I know your pain :lol: ...currently have 5 vehicles, and only 1 runs/drives :( ...But it will be great once I can get all my projects driving
well, that makes me feel a little XD
technically i have 3 drivable cars, but i don't feel like overheating my BP and blowing it or driving with a steering wheel that flops around like a limp wiener XD
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Started with one MX3 I bought off Ebay as a project then ended up with 4 plus one MX6. Now I'm down to one MX3 and one MX6. I may however end up with a Probe GT soon. Here we go again. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
dude33694

Post by dude33694 »

Currently:

1993 MX3 sohc
1987 Merc Cougar
1999 Merc cougar
and eyeing a 1998 dakota :mrgreen:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm sitting at 3 cars, but can I include boats? :P I've got 4 sailboats too, all but 1 were purchased in mediocre(or worse) condition, repaired, rigged, and sailed at Semi-Pro events. I took 2nd in the country in one of them :) That was before I broke the age barrier for "Junior" Nationals. That was a rough weekend, 6 races 1st place, 1 DNF(Last + 1 due to inability to finish, I sank my boat. Go figure huh? Don't worry, I recovered her same day.)

Anyways, I could talk about boat repairs for HOURS... I will include one story, minus pictures, as I have none on this computer.

I took a 20' early '70s sailboat that sat in a leaky garage for ~20 years, with all original 1972 Race Rigging(Some missing, all antiquated) that had an utterly flawless hull, straight/solid Keel with no hollow spots!! She had no filler even... That's like finding a faded old SE with a few dents and dings, requiring a tune-up. Only it's 19 years older :P I forgot to add that I waited for this particular Hull number(007 out of about 975, 975 being a 2010 Model) for 4 years before it popped up for sale in Long Beach, CA. Luck has it, I left for Nationals in Long Beach 10 days later. I picked up the boat, and began the restoration.

Long story short, I shop-vac'd out the water, scrubbed every single inch of the interior paint off(mildew, wet garage + 20 years will do that) stripped the gear and saved what was collectible/usable for other projects, repainted the interior above the waterline with 2 coats of mildew resistant white paint, and began work on the keel bolts.

The standard keel mount for these boats has 4 Steel bolts, spaced in a diamond pattern, the rear-most bolt being 2" farther out from the center point. This keel had 7 bolts, front to back the pattern was 1-1-2-2-1. That's the most I've seen out of the 150 or so I have examined. So it's 007, with 7 keel bolts, and no name... Funnily enough the week before I went to Long Beach I watched Die Another Day, a James Bond movie for those who don't know. Hey, there's another 7 ;)

I went with the lucky number, and the first idea that popped into my head stuck. It's been Shaken Not Stirred ever since then :) Sadly, I've yet to take the boat out on it's "Maiden Voyage, Round 2." I fully rigged the boat, minus the Mast, which is complete but not atop the boat. I've got 2 of the required 4 sails necessary for typical use, and don't have the funds to finish her up at the moment. Next summer, I hope?

Cars:

I'll be brief, as I haven't done enough to warrant a true story.

1st car, an MG Midget MkIII that sat in Dry storage from 199x-2002, tires and a tune-up were in order. This car was a gift from my step dad, in an effort to get me into cars at a young age. I didn't take until much later, so the car sat unused. By the time I was driving(2004) the car had sat outside under a covered patio for 2 years. The once small issues were much bigger, plus the paint faded and the ragtop was cracking in places. The tires were replaced with threadbare ones that held air, and the car is now in dry storage elsewhere until I am more capable of undertaking a project of those proportions.

2nd car, a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer that I "gave" to my parents to settle some debt I accrued through poor use of money in my highschool years. I still drive it once in a while, if I need more room to haul stuff around. It brings a tear to my eye to see how poorly maintained that 9 year old car is. It's got under 90k miles on it, and it has been through more than any car should be. The black paint is peeled under the roof rack and the cancer caused by that is spreading across the roof, sadly that's not the worst of it. She was driven on a gravel/concrete road, off a 2-3 foot drop and landed on the edge awkwardly enough that the gas tank was crushed in. It holds about 3.5 gallons fewer than it should, and that's sad. Surprisingly enough there are no leaks.

3rd car, 1992 Mx-3 GS I picked up one city away for $1,200. Ran great, and still does; The only problems being 1 headlight bulb and the rear right strut was shorn in half. I swapped bulbs the day I got her, and rear struts came a week or so later. Total cost was about $1,500 as the seller paid the fees in the transfer. The car ran fine until an incident where my sister drove ~100 miles(no license, can't drive stick) and damaged my transmission irreparably. Used tranny + rebuild + rear motor mount(broke during swap) + OEM Clutch totalled about $1,400 with labor. That stung, especially since I had to pay it out of pocket. Lesson learned, if you're gonna party, lock the keys in the car.

I'm glad I didn't talk about the other boats...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i don't know much about boats but that sounds like an awesome find!

Return to “Off-Topic”