funny v6 swap question (entertain me)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

funny v6 swap question (entertain me)

Post by kulluminati777 »

say i want to ditch the old k8 and get a de/ze. do u think i could just take the car to some random mechanic who knows alot about cars and tell him its the same engine just change and do u think he can do it with no mx3.com tutorial or hints or anything like that or do i have to stay there and walk him through the differences or is the entire swap literally tit for tat with no mods at all
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Nd4SpdSe

Re: funny v6 swap question (entertain me)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

If you've read about the KL swaps, you'll realised that you've already answered your question.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Just throw a K8 mani on a KL, and move the knock sensor wire over in the process, and the mech won't even know.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Ryan wrote:Just throw a K8 mani on a KL, and move the knock sensor wire over in the process, and the mech won't even know.
Yep, providing you use the same gearbox then there will be literally no differences that I can think of apart from coolant sensors. If you have a 1993 car, then make sure you keep the coolant neck that has two sensors.

Basically if the KLZE is a newer model engine (94 onwards) then it may only have 1 coolant sensor. If your ECU is a 1993, which it will be for most real KLZE ECU's, then it will look for the second sensor and if it cannot find it, it will make your thermo fans run constantly....
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

unless the mechanic works on older model mazdas on a regular basis id highly doubt they would even notice the differences between a k8 and klze. id be more then willing to bet theyd chalk the slightly different intake manifold and one less coolant sensor to year to year changes rather then different models.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

thanks alot guys cause i want to do the swap but i cant do it im not a good car mech and plus i want it done right lol
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

A lot of guys came to this forum not knowing anything about mechanics, and not long after they did their own swaps.
Read, ask questions. You will be able to do your swap "the right way" before you know it. It's no rocket science, and there's a lot of information here, and a lot of people to guide you through it. And once you finish, there's no bigger satisfaction than knowing you did it yourself. :welder:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

true true
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I initially thought that you were trying to get a KLZE swapped a-la-incongnito because overseas there are places where it's not allowed. If you just want to get a KLZE swap done, any decent mechanic who is capable of swapping a motor can easilly do a KLZE swap. The intake manifold is just vacum lines, which is easy do deal with and reroute.
RX8SE3P wrote:Yep, providing you use the same gearbox then there will be literally no differences that I can think of apart from coolant sensors. If you have a 1993 car, then make sure you keep the coolant neck that has two sensors.

Basically if the KLZE is a newer model engine (94 onwards) then it may only have 1 coolant sensor. If your ECU is a 1993, which it will be for most real KLZE ECU's, then it will look for the second sensor and if it cannot find it, it will make your thermo fans run constantly....
That's jut a quirk rather and nothing you need to worry about in the installation process. As he's basically saying, if you have a 92-93, just swap over the coolant neck from the K8 to keep both temp sensors, otherwise the ran fan runs all the time. If you have a 94+, you only have 1 temp sensor, so you're fan will be on all the time unless you get the right and specific ECU (not sure which ones at the moment, I think a DE ECU and/or a Probinator fixes that). If you've got an OBDII, that's a different story, swap isn't any different, but you need to stick with your K8 ECU and use a KL02 VAF.

In the end, it doesn't matter what motor it's from or if it's OBDI or OBDII (worse comes to worse, you swap the sensors from your K8, it's an odd rarity that I've heard need to of been done once or twice), the only thing you need to pay attention in the motor is that is either had 1 or 2 coolant sensors and use the system that was originally in the car, every thing else is identical, and use the K8 distributor for ease.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SgtLynch

Post by SgtLynch »

Yea, I'm a crap Mechanic, but I can swap a motor. It's really like Lego... stuff fits or it doesn't. If you have laid out everything logically and labeled/photographed connections properly you should be golden. As for diagnosing engine problems and repairing them... that's the real mechanic stuff.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

It was an almost direct swap when I did it.

Not rocket science. It does fit like a lego.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Place both engines beside each other and make the ZE look like the K8 then install it. Hook up the EGR so you don't get a code but there's no need to connect the exhaust or coolant lines just the electrical plug.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”