Driving Away Without Unplugging!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Driving Away Without Unplugging!

Post by cWs306 »

Hey everyone, i just forgot to unplug my car when i drove away and ripped the block heater cord right off :P. i just wanted to see... How many people have drove away without unplugging there car first..? i think its quite funny. such a burn out move. Later!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Driving Away Without Unplugging!

Post by Daninski »

I'm sure your the first one. Why is your block heater plugged in already?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've never seen anyone use a block heater before, lol. My parents Escape has it, and even my Xterra has one, but never used it, our winters are never that cold, but last year when I was working in Peterborugh, there was his BAD cold spell, would of used it if the hotel had the plugs for them. Mind you too, both the Escape and Xterra have remote starters...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Well i live in saskatchewan.. thats about all there is to it hahahaha. -40 winters. right now.. some nights r up to -35. -37 with wind chill was the coldest its got.. and winters just starting.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

it gets pretty cold in calgary and edmonton too, but i never plugged it in, probably cause both my engines never had one =P
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Everyone does it... Did you wreck anything? Usually the worst is that you rip a cord and need to put a new end on it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I would love to have a block heater! It doesnt get to cold here but nothing like starting a warmer engine :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I have a block heater and I used it last week when it was -5 to -10 out at night, I have a weak battery and it really helps with starting and getting the car warmed up faster. Swapped it over from my K8 when I did the swap.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Gas cars don't really need them that much, it's diesels that have to have one. I will usually plug in my truck for couple hours before work when it's cold. That way batteries don't drain for grid heaters
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

how does a block heater work?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Plugs into the block, heats up the coolant.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

The block heater is just a freeze plug with a push type adapter that goes to the
power cord. Its usually in the back right by the oil filter but can sometimes be
placed up front. Likely just a cord you need, id check a wreckers for a cord from
pretty much any mazda from 88-96 they should be the same. New from the dealer
is ~45 bucks.

Im not a big fan of cold starts (-20 C or less) without having the block heater on,
the wear from oil being like corn syrup for the first few minutes is not worth the
30 seconds it takes to plug it in. I can show pictures of uneven piston skirt wear
that I have seen on more than one car that was cold started frequently over its life.
One was from my B6 and the other two from BP protege's that ive harvested engines
from.

One of the funnier misconceptions about plugging a car in is that it has anything to
do with the battery. Its just a simple heater that as mentioned above heats up the
coolant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Mi|<E wrote:The block heater is just a freeze plug with a push type adapter that goes to the
power cord. Its usually in the back right by the oil filter but can sometimes be
placed up front. Likely just a cord you need, id check a wreckers for a cord from
pretty much any mazda from 88-96 they should be the same. New from the dealer
is ~45 bucks.

Im not a big fan of cold starts (-20 C or less) without having the block heater on,
the wear from oil being like corn syrup for the first few minutes is not worth the
30 seconds it takes to plug it in. I can show pictures of uneven piston skirt wear
that I have seen on more than one car that was cold started frequently over its life.
One was from my B6 and the other two from BP protege's that ive harvested engines
from.

One of the funnier misconceptions about plugging a car in is that it has anything to
do with the battery. Its just a simple heater that as mentioned above heats up the
coolant.
This is truth.

And yea I know it has nothing to do with the battery. However, if my entire engine is cold it has a much harder time starting as the CCA on my battery is s---. If it is plugged in and warm it starts like butter and I dont need to worry about that stupid interstate battery failing on me
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Mi|<E wrote:
coolant.

What do you mean? I thought plugging in your car charged the battery.....

I've convinced more than one person of that :lol:

The heater itself is just a tiny little element.

It goes on the non-exhaust side of the engine, usually. On the K8 its on the back by the oil filter, sadly.
Last edited by Ryan on November 28th, 2010, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

did all mx3's have this? i dont, well i think i dont lol
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”