car key....

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

car key....

Post by cWs306 »

hey, how would i go about getting a car key cut for my mx.. but the trick is.. i got no other keys.. lost all my keys and cell phone tonight....
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: car key....

Post by umcamara »

Take one of your door lock tumblers or ignition barrel (if you can get it out) to a locksmith. Or find a mobile locksmith who can come to you and do it.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

ohhhhh okay right on. ill take the door lock one out. be a little easier. i dont wanna f--- with my ignition :P. thanks alot man! appreciate it!. :D
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

i think the easiest would be the hatch lock...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

Go to a dealership. Give them your vehicle registration and VIN number. They will have a code for it. Then with said code a new key will be cut. I worked at Mazda for years. That's how we did it.
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

SCHIMMLE wrote:Go to a dealership. Give them your vehicle registration and VIN number. They will have a code for it. Then with said code a new key will be cut. I worked at Mazda for years. That's how we did it.
cool! Glad to know any retard who gets his hand on my registration can get a key for my car. :lol:
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

i just did the door lock.. worked perfect.. and the dealership wanted 400 bucks for a new key and they dont need your registration thats just dumb.. they need the vin number of the car. thats it lol. nice try tho.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

cWs306 wrote:i just did the door lock.. worked perfect.. and the dealership wanted 400 bucks for a new key and they dont need your registration thats just dumb.. they need the vin number of the car. thats it lol. nice try tho.
the registration has the VIN on it.....
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

....... so you're saying...

If I "lose" they keys to "my" (neighbours) RX-8... I can just go over and read "my" (his) VIN off the dash, go to Mazda, and get a new key (RX-8) for $400?

sweet deal.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey Mike what did you say the vin number on your RX8 was. :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

cWs306 wrote:i just did the door lock.. worked perfect.. and the dealership wanted 400 bucks for a new key and they dont need your registration thats just dumb.. they need the vin number of the car. thats it lol. nice try tho.
What dealership did you go to? my local one charged me $20... Or did they think you needed an ignition not just a key?
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
SCHIMMLE

Post by SCHIMMLE »

They want the registration with the VIN because what would stop me from walking up to your car, grabbing the VIN out of your window and getting a key cut. It's proof of ownership. The registration has the VIN on it. I live how ignorant some people can be. As for the cost it's basically the same as getting a regular key cut. They will charge for a new key and then charge for getting it cut. $20 is basically what we charged. The newer switchblade keys or the Card keys are more. But this is just a regular key. Now let me say this again. I worked at Mazda. I was in charge of the parts department. So yeah I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Just sayin.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Over here you can go to the dealership and show them your ownership plus driver's license and then they can give you the 5 digit code for your key. A new key from them cost me like 20 plus tax.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”