Recommend a clutch for KLZE

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Lesley

Recommend a clutch for KLZE

Post by Lesley »

Hey guys...
My KLZE arrived today (30,000 miles, really clean!).
Can you recommend a good clutch kit?
I will be doing some lapping at Mosport.

Thanks!
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.
92 Mazda 323 - winter beater

mx3 by Leadfoot Lesley, on Flickr
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Recommend a clutch for KLZE

Post by Ryan »

Centerforce, ACT, bully, South Bend, Clutchmasters.... all good brands. pick one for your application ~50HP over your range, so rated for 250 HP, or 200 ft lbs...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Don't forget Spec.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

exedy is good and cheap...
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Spec is good, Exedy OEM probe clutch is cheappppp and holds up very well, numerous ppl including myself have had success with them. You can get em cheap on ebay with all the parts and bearings
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

I wondered about the Exedy, since there are a lot of them on Ebay. Have any of you guys used them in motorsports, like autocross, or lapping?
The ACT kits are pretty dear from what I see.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed
97 Dodge Dakota - Boyd rims, custom built 5.9 360, custom tranny with kevlar guts and shift kit. Too many upgrades to list.

mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

youd probably want atleast a stage 1 or stage 2 for autocross. for daily driving id say the oem would be fine but constantly dropping the clutch at high rpms may burn it out fairly quickly.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Probably do more lapping than autocross, but there are some hard braking and downshifting spots in track too.
The ACT kit on ebay sounds good, but they sure like to ding you for shipping.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Lesley wrote:Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Probably do more lapping than autocross, but there are some hard braking and downshifting spots in track too.
The ACT kit on ebay sounds good, but they sure like to ding you for shipping.
Exedy will hold up, just ask nd4spd.

I am not easy on my clutch either and i broke it in for about 7km and its still not slipping after at least 60k.

ACT is a good bet as well
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I am happy to see you post Leslie, been a bit. I used to run a ACT and it was pretty nice, but has a quick engagement. After some practice I bet you'll find yourself wanting somthing that engages a bit more smoothly. The quick transition makes it hard to ease into the gear on corner exit and thus you do so late and loose some MPH. For a FWD that is imparative. I would recommend Spec or Clutch Masters. I've not driven a Spec on a ZE, but on a BP they are great. The CM I use now is great also. I've only put one season on it, but so far I like it better than the old ACT. Plus, for the price of a ACT plus a couple bucks you can get a CM and aluminum flywheel from Rafi at R&R Racing (if he is still in business, I might have heard he shut down his parts sales).
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Thanks so much for the advice... now that I'm having some fun with my MX, I'll have to visit your board some more :-)
I looked at the price of an ACT clutch kit and flywheel, almost what I paid for the engine!
I'll look into the Spec and Clutchmasters you recommended :mrgreen:
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

PATDIESEL wrote:I am happy to see you post Leslie, been a bit. I used to run a ACT and it was pretty nice, but has a quick engagement. After some practice I bet you'll find yourself wanting somthing that engages a bit more smoothly. The quick transition makes it hard to ease into the gear on corner exit and thus you do so late and loose some MPH. For a FWD that is imparative. I would recommend Spec or Clutch Masters. I've not driven a Spec on a ZE, but on a BP they are great. The CM I use now is great also. I've only put one season on it, but so far I like it better than the old ACT. Plus, for the price of a ACT plus a couple bucks you can get a CM and aluminum flywheel from Rafi at R&R Racing (if he is still in business, I might have heard he shut down his parts sales).
Hey Pat you got the FX100? I have one of these sitting at my parents place and I was pondering if it would be worth putting in when I replace my tranny next spring
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

solo_ryder wrote:Exedy will hold up, just ask nd4spd.
Never ran Exedy, I had a Bully Stage 2 and it was awesome, but many of the local guys ran the Exedy and never had any problems with them, even with the abuse they took.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I think that is the like the 3rd time I have said you ran one but I know you didnt. Im losing my mind
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

RR Racing is indeed still in business. Talked to Rafi, the price for a clutch kit and the flywheel is only marginally more than the ACT kit + delivery.
There are a couple of Clutchmaster Stage II kits on ebay that look reasonable, depends on whether i can get a flywheel deal too.
92 Mx3 GS KLZE 5 speed

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”