Losing rad Fluid and water rapidly.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
zero_one
antispam: No

Losing rad Fluid and water rapidly.

Post by zero_one »

I just got my car which i absolutely love and have had no problems until today. i came home from my girlfriends place and noticed a bit of smoke coming from the hood and checked it out. coolant levels were full and there was water still in the rad. i went downtown and back (10km at best) and on my way home the car over heated (red lined). NO water and the coolant reservoir was empty. doesn't look like anything is coming from the engine and i cant see a leak in the rad. Any Ideas? Its a 94 with the DOHC 24 Valve 1.8L V6. This is the first car i have owned outside of a Honda or a Volkswagon. I was reading around the forum and saw that it could be issues with the head gasket or cylinder head, as i had noticed the exhaust was milky white (however the oil is fine). what would roughly be the cost of this work if i take it to a shop? If this is indeed the the cause would driving through a large puddle (1 ft - 1.5 ft deep) being as cold as it is out possibly be a cause?

Thanx for any input. :(
h3xt0r

Re: Losing rad Fluid and water rapidly.

Post by h3xt0r »

This car must have been sitting for a while. I've had this problem before and here's how you fix it.

1.) Go buy some Coolant and a funnel.

2.) Let the car sit over night so you KNOW its cold

3.) Take off the radiator cap

4.) Turn on the car

5.) Poor the coolant into the rad via the radiator cap opening

6.) Continue till the rad is over flowing & Turn off the car

7.) Fill up the reservoir.

8.) Have a beer, you're done!

The reason that this is happening is because the radiator pulls from the reservoir via the suction from the passing coolant in the system. When there is no coolant there, the suction doesn't work very well. The reservoir, even though its full on start, doesn't really mean that the rad. is full. Anywho. Have fun w/ the car and if you continue having this problem than you're probably looking at a new engine so report back if its successful. :-P

PS~ The milky white smoke means you're running rich. That's a problem for another day. :-P
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Also be sure to shine a light up from underneath at the water pump to check the weaphole for moisture. Its the pulley dead center of your engine above the main drive pully ( your harmonic balencer). Either way its still an easy afternoon job at the worst :wink:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

Sleeper6 wrote:Also be sure to shine a light up from underneath at the water pump to check the weaphole for moisture. Its the pulley dead center of your engine above the main drive pully ( your harmonic balencer). Either way its still an easy afternoon job at the worst :wink:
Totally forgot about the water pump! xD Although I don't think its the pump. When the weephole starts weeping its normally noticeable because it'll release a small pool onto your driveway. He's not getting any leaks or anything. Might be a pressure issue but that's normally pretty noticeable too. :-P
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.

Return to “Appearance”