A-typical rant for me("Officers of the law")

Off-Topic Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

A-typical rant for me("Officers of the law")

Post by MrMazda92 »

So, I received another ticket last night. "Failure to obey a traffic control device", that's a new one.

I went through a stop sign after braking, JUST fast enough to keep it in second, to avoid an annoyingly long stop to put it in first... pull through the stop sign, and pull into my driveway about 1/8 mile away.

The idiot who pulled me over looked like he was younger than me, and was VERY excited about writing this ticket. Yay me, huh? I get to help the newbie fill his quota.

Anyways, he was about 1/2 a mile away from the stop sign when I allegedly did this(I'd KILL for eyesight like that!!)

He ran the stopsign following me, and only turned on his lights as he pulled into my driveway.

Yet again, my faith in the local police has been shattered.

The traffic specific ones are a joke, they can't do anything else properly, so they're stuck on traffic duty. The worst part is, they KNOW they're worthless... so they have a chip on their shoulder, and ticket people for the dumbest things.

I wish, for ONCE, that when I report a cop for running a red light, cutting across 4 lanes downtown without signaling, etc. to the police auditor, they would actually do something. It's PATHETIC that nobody polices the police. I'm utterly disgusted with it, enough that I'm considering moving somewhere rural, just to avoid the asshats.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm DONE with it... come January, I won't be able to afford my car insurance. Yay me, the one hobby in my life that I actually stick with, and enjoy... ruined by some dumbass bottom-of-the-food-chain cops, who have nothing better to do.

My last ticket I got was for speeding, I was going 61 in a 55(on Cruise Control!!!), a Triple trailer Semi passed me coming over this hill, and the cop pulled me over the moment the semi was no longer between us... gave me a ticket for 70 MPH.

Disgusting.

Utterly disgusting.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Re: A-typical rant for me("Officers of the law")

Post by wytbishop »

Now I don't want to start a big flame throwing type deal here. I really don't. But you're calling a guy an idiot for giving you a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign after explaining in detail why you chose not to stop at it?

I'm not saying that I don't do exactly the same thing. I do. I know exactly what you're saying...but if I were to get caught doing it you wouldn't hear me ranting about the "idiot" that caught me. And if I know that one more ticket is going to cause me to not be able to afford insurance you can be damn sure I will not be rolling through any stop signs.

NO you probably didn't put anyone's life in danger and NO he didn't have to give you that ticket, but the law is clear. It is incumbent on us all as drivers to obey the law. You always have a choice but the consequences are right there. I just have no sympathy for you at all.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Well Im not sure who I agree with but yes you did roll a stop sign so in a way you know you still are in the wrong. But I feel for you this summer I got pulled over by what I thought was a state trooper because he "couldnt see my front plate," who after wasting thirty minutes of my time gave me a ticket for not changing my license addres, bc i was honest and told him why I was one town over when he asked, since I had just moved the first of the month and hadnt had a day off when the dmv was open since starting my new job. Mind you this occured on the 20th and they only allow for 10 days to change your license in NY. Best part, next day was my first day off to change my address, my plate was clearly visable on the dash since my front bolts broke (btw this officer had to do a u-ey on a country stretch leading into a town with a 30mph limit where he had to of floored it to get back to me and past traffic, AND he was a requisition officer at a school not even a real road cop-beauty of selling parts to the NYS Police, you find out who these people really are).

End of story, take your ticket to the DA, tell them your story, explain how the cop acted and tell them you were sorry and just in a hurry and hopefully theyll dismiss it, or atleast reduce it to a seatbelt ticket so its a non moving violation and wont affect your insurance. JUST DONT MAIL IT IN GUILTY, at that point they cant help you. Its all part of owning a sports car my friend.

Best of luck :wink:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wyt, it wasn't that I was pulled over, it's the fact that the officer was a greater danger to people than I was, he ran the stop sign before he hit his lights, All I saw was a car rushing towards me at 10:30 at night. I did roll through, and I can admit that. He would never admit, nor be punished for his transgression.

Sleeper, I see the value in that officer's actions. He Ticketed the offense, and you learned from the experience. It will probably stay in your mind longer as a reminder than being arrested, and not leave a bitter taste in your mouth. I can respect an officer that sees more than dollar signs.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wyt, it wasn't that I was pulled over, it's the fact that the officer was a greater danger to people than I was, he ran the stop sign before he hit his lights, All I saw was a car rushing towards me at 10:30 at night. I did roll through, and I can admit that. He would never admit, nor be punished for his transgression.

Sleeper, I see the value in that officer's actions. He Ticketed the offense, and you learned from the experience. It will probably stay in your mind longer as a reminder than being arrested, and not leave a bitter taste in your mouth. I can respect an officer that sees more than dollar signs.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

On a related note, I think there's an issue with the image of police.

From the game GTA, to tickets, to everything else....

Cops have a job that naturally people hate them for. Like tax guys, or lawyers, the guys who destroy returned s--- for cheap-o department stores...

They only get involved when s--- hits the fan, or when someone disobeys the laws.
They are not policed, and sadly, many of them abuse it, with various excuses.
They abuse their power at all levels, too. Ever see a cop go to jail for tazering a naked man running through a sports match? I bet I would go to jail if I tazered him.

They're full of pathetic double standard, honestly.

I think cops need to work on positive reinforcement as well.

Yes, the stop domestic violence, etc (A patch solution, by the way) and they pull over the seriously dangerous drivers (if they can catch/locate them, ha.) and help direct traffic at accident scenes, etc.

But no one really appreciates any of that, not with the overwhelming negative feelings.

I think cops should be given a quota to fill, to hand out $50 worth of coffee gift certificates per month, per cruiser. (A tiny fraction of a dollar on your taxes).
They should go out to people who, say, do complete stops. People who know how to do a left hand turn at a boulevard (Please, God, help people to learn this), and people who correctly yeild the right of way, or people who DON't stop in merging lanes(ie, merge properly), or good samaritains who help people out.

Of course, there'd be a need to regulate it so they don't hand it out to their families and friends (more than nescessary).... but still, we all need the positive reinforcement.

Its brutally true that we're subliminally affected by everything we encounter and experience, and all the negativity surrounding this topic is no different... a little offset would do us all good.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Ryan wrote:On a related note, I think there's an issue with the image of police.

From the game GTA, to tickets, to everything else....

Cops have a job that naturally people hate them for. Like tax guys, or lawyers, the guys who destroy returned s--- for cheap-o department stores...

They only get involved when s--- hits the fan, or when someone disobeys the laws.
They are not policed, and sadly, many of them abuse it, with various excuses.
They abuse their power at all levels, too. Ever see a cop go to jail for tazering a naked man running through a sports match? I bet I would go to jail if I tazered him.

They're full of pathetic double standard, honestly.

I think cops need to work on positive reinforcement as well.

Yes, the stop domestic violence, etc (A patch solution, by the way) and they pull over the seriously dangerous drivers (if they can catch/locate them, ha.) and help direct traffic at accident scenes, etc.

But no one really appreciates any of that, not with the overwhelming negative feelings.

I think cops should be given a quota to fill, to hand out $50 worth of coffee gift certificates per month, per cruiser. (A tiny fraction of a dollar on your taxes).
They should go out to people who, say, do complete stops. People who know how to do a left hand turn at a boulevard (Please, God, help people to learn this), and people who correctly yeild the right of way, or people who DON't stop in merging lanes(ie, merge properly), or good samaritains who help people out.

Of course, there'd be a need to regulate it so they don't hand it out to their families and friends (more than necessary).... but still, we all need the positive reinforcement.

Its brutally true that we're subliminally affected by everything we encounter and experience, and all the negativity surrounding this topic is no different... a little offset would do us all good.
Good post. I think the positive reinforcement is a little bit out there though. We are obligated to respect the rules (whatever's written in black & white). I don't think people should be rewarded for not robbing people, and not raping and pillaging. Just as I don't think people need to be rewarded for obeying traffic laws.

OP, I don't feel bad for you in the least. I like you, as a valuable member, but you have to take responsibility for your own actions. That will come with maturity, although some people never grow up.

I agree that, like with anything, there are a lot of bad apple cops. But keep in mind that whenever you see a cop car flying down the street running lights without it's sirens or lights on, they're not necessarily at fault. There are many times when police need to arrive on scene without announcing their arrival. If you were in a hostile situation, say being held hostage or something, you would appreciate the fact that law enforcement was handling the situation without spooking the perpetrator.

Personally, I know cops have a tough job. Whether their lights & sirens are on or not, I give them a certain level of respect especially on the road. I don't do this in order to brown-nose or suck up. I spent a couple years locked up several years ago on drug and assault related offences, so I'm by no means a wet-behind-the-ears chicken-fucker. I give any emergency vehicle the right of way on the road, as long as it doesn't interfere with the flow of traffic.

End rant...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You're right, Curtis, people shouldn't need reinforcement for not breaking the law. Its a silly concept now...

But still, we need the positive... Even if cops were more nice, etc. Bitchy/grumpy cops are not good for their image either. Hard to blame them, though. They do deal with a--holes all day, for the most part.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Honestly I dont think theres an issue with the image portrayed by agencies of the law. If there wasnt an abnormal amount of cops with this behavior there wouldnt be an image, using video games and the media as an excuse is just that, an excuse.

And no I dont think our issue is with disgruntled officers but more with the idea that most states have made it a policy to hire officers within the ages of 21-30 in order to pass their physical tests. This in turn leads to a bunch of young, inexperienced officers on the road who loose practical judgement when it comes to simple issues like this.

Now Im not nessecairly old, Im 23, but I grew up in a junk yard and have litterally been driving since I could reach the pedals and can pretty much handle any platform regardless of the conditions. What really irks me is that I still look like Im 16 if I shave and the last two times I met an officer on the side of the road I recieved the whole "son" speach and condesending looks. Best part, I was older than both of those officers, wheres the respect for the people providing their paychecks? In both cases I was clear of any charges and both were dismissed by a judge. One I was "speeding" when It was a caravan passing me that deserved the ticket as his camera revealed. And the second was previously described.

A little practical and honest enforcement is all they need to help their image if you ask me.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

This is why you should always keep a box of donuts in the car. "Officer, I have a box of donuts here, or, maybe it was empty..."
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Curtis: I agree with you on the positive reinforcement issue. After all, can you imagine how happy you'd be if you're running late for work, and a cop pulls you over to give you a cup of cofee? :lol: :lol:

But there's something I disagree with you on:
umcamara wrote:

But keep in mind that whenever you see a cop car flying down the street running lights without it's sirens or lights on, they're not necessarily at fault. There are many times when police need to arrive on scene without announcing their arrival. If you were in a hostile situation, say being held hostage or something, you would appreciate the fact that law enforcement was handling the situation without spooking the perpetrator.
The purpose for the existence of the law, is to protect the innocent. Contrarily to what most people believe, the law is not meant to punish the criminal, but to protect the possible victim.
Traffic laws clearly state that, to be allowed to "bypass" traffic signs, emergency vehicles need to have their sirens on, or, if the circumstances don't allow it, at least their light bars, and, in any case, they need to slow down at stop signs or red lights, to avoid hitting an unsuspecting driver passing through. The fact that a cop is responding to an emergency does NOT give him the right to put others in danger.

Other than that, I agree that the attitude of the cop makes all the difference. I've had my fair share of tickets, and other encounters with the law, here and in my country, and I can tell you, if cops did their job consciously, nobody would hate them.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

I have been pulled over three times, two times going forty in a thirty and once doing seventy in a sixty. The two times I was pulled over in the thirties I was nice and respectful to the cop. The first time I got off with a written warning, the second time I was let off with a written warning. The time I was doing seventy I hit the brakes, I believe before he clocked me (state trooper) I was respectful. He asked me what he pulled me over for (I heard if you say speeding and a speed it counts as a confession) so I said no idea. He gave me a fix it ticket for a fogged plate cover, and a $68 dollar ticket for a muffler violation (not even loud,and the mx6 is quieter at high rpms). But it didn't affect my insurance. Then he asked me to step out of the car had me walk in a straight line, did a flash light trick with my eyes, and kept asking if I was high. I was tired so my eyes were half open after sitting on the side of the interstate for twenty minutes. When I volenteered to take a pee test is when he finally dropped it. At the end of the day cops are people, most are good but some are bad and abuse their situation.
Last edited by mxmikey on October 31st, 2010, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 GS/SE
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Most cops here are a--holes. I've been illegally removed from my car and had my car searched and interior ripped up on many occasions. I've been asked what I'm doing in nice neighborhoods, I've been told to go back to the "hood" where I belong, I've been asked where I'm hiding my drugs and guns on numerous occasions, and plenty more. I've had station wagons blow by me right in front of highway patrol and had the cop pull me over. I've been told that the cop can make up any charge he wants just to take me into the precinct and lots more grimey things like that. Dont move to NYC, or dont magically transform into a hispanic or black male.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Sleeper6 wrote: Its all part of owning a Japanese economy car my friend.
Fixed.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mxmikey wrote:I have been pulled over three times, two times going thirty in a forty
You got pulled over for 10 under the limit?
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:The purpose for the existence of the law, is to protect the innocent. Contrarily to what most people believe, the law is not meant to punish the criminal, but to protect the possible victim.
Traffic laws clearly state that, to be allowed to "bypass" traffic signs, emergency vehicles need to have their sirens on, or, if the circumstances don't allow it, at least their light bars, and, in any case, they need to slow down at stop signs or red lights, to avoid hitting an unsuspecting driver passing through. The fact that a cop is responding to an emergency does NOT give him the right to put others in danger.
I know a few cops, directly indirectly, and sometimes they need to run with their sirens off because it's safer. People panic and do stupid things when they see an emergency vehicle and it's sirens are on. My parents live also in a not-so-good neighbourhood and cops rarely come this way with their lights and sirens on. It also depends on the time of the day, specifically at night, they don't run with them on to wake up people. I've woken up to the sound if an idling firetruck outside the house. they didn't have their sirens on so them driving to the scene didn't wake me up. There are situation where there's no excuses too, but it's not all bad things, so you don't know unless you know what's up.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Off-Topic”