Why HEI Mod?

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Maliceday
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Why HEI Mod?

Post by Maliceday »

So, can someone please explain what exactly the HEI swap does? From everything I've read up on I'm assuming better spark, but that's the best I can get out of it. Also, is this on all engines or only select ones?
Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD. You know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences...
Ryan

Re: Why HEI Mod?

Post by Ryan »

I'm feeling nice.

HEI mod is the 'fix' for the poorly designed ignitors in these cars. It only fixes the ignitor, not the coil. that is what the external coil add-on is for.

ignitor failure reveals itself as misfires at certain RPM's, motor dying when hot, not restarting when hot, running fine when cold, eventually moving to no spark.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Maliceday

Post by Maliceday »

Awesome. Thank you. I've been trying to find out exactly what it's for though all the writing I could find on it.
Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD. You know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences...
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Ryan wrote:I'm feeling nice.

HEI mod is the 'fix' for the poorly designed ignitors in these cars. It only fixes the ignitor, not the coil. that is what the external coil add-on is for.

ignitor failure reveals itself as misfires at certain RPM's, motor dying when hot, not restarting when hot, running fine when cold, eventually moving to no spark.
Good post, just like to add. Most people end up doing the mod after they have an igniter failure, which to fix requires a whole new distributor - if you want a good laugh call mazda and ask what the cost is ~$500. You can get the GM igniters for $0-$5 at a wrecker and are found in a ton of vehicles - I used to keep a couple spares in the glovebox just in case.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just in case you didn't see this. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You can actually replace just the ignitor, Mazda used to do that for people, but they quit making just spare ignitors.

I still buy distributors from yards, pull the coil and ignitor, test them, and keep them if good, fill the disty with crap stuff, and then return it :D

HEI looks messy, unless you take a lot of time to do it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had a horrible experience... maybe it was my car, wiring.. something...

But My ignitor went out a looooong time ago, so i bought a shiny new disty for 300 dllrs at checker autoparts(now o relleys). I had it on, lasted 3 days, BOOM ignitor went... I got a replacement under warranty.. boom 1 day later... I went back and they replaced last time and said they wont replace again as its my car.. well yeah it went again a week later... so I got fed up.. did the hei mod and it worked.. I could have freaking done that with the first disty.. The ignitor lasted me 6 months, went out due to poor ground. Got it corrected and replaced and its been well for 3 years.

Also autozone sells the internal coil so no need to do external coil mod unless you want it. its like 50 dllrs for the replacement coil at autozone. Seen it for 40 dllrs online.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”