This Thread Proves SuperK is an Idiot

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

This Thread Proves SuperK is an Idiot

Post by SuperK »

In the block. SH*(*& MOTHER *(&)^(&*^ F(*&^ F(*& F (*& F(*& F......

AAAHHH and it snapped half an inch below the surface of the block. I'm so pissed.

I was so careful, I had my torque wrench, I started at 30 then 60 then 90 then 110 AND IT SNAPPED AT 110 SH(* SH*(
Last edited by SuperK on June 21st, 2010, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: i broke a headbolt....

Post by umcamara »

:(
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

weak.
There is a write up in one of my car mags with tips and what not. I can post stuff up if you'd like extraction tips
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I'm going to take it to a machine shop to see if they have anything they can use to take it out. If not, new block.

But definitely new torque wrench. Any brand preferences? I was going to go for a craftsman.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

SuperK wrote:I'm going to take it to a machine shop to see if they have anything they can use to take it out. If not, new block.

But definitely new torque wrench. Any brand preferences? I was going to go for a craftsman.
You figure the torque wrench is out of calibration? Were they new head-bolts? I know you're not an idiot, just curious how it happened.

I don't even know the diameter of the hole for the headbolts, but I'm assuming welding something to what's left of the bolt to get it out is not an option?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I should have known. They weren't new headbolts, but in my other car I reused my headbolts just fine, and the manual says that they're reusable.

I should have known! The torque wrench broke a support bearing bracket bolt but I scratched it off to be that I had to get a small torque wrench in in lbs instead of trying to convert to ft lbs. Then it broke a camshaft cap bolt and I again subjected it to the fact I was converting to in lbs.

I was tightening down the bolts and I hit 90, *click* it was workign fine. As soon as I bumped it over 100, I did 110, and it kept on turning and I was like, "that's not good" so I tried another one, and still... so I tried another one and I felt like I was overtightening them all. SO I backed it down to 60 made sure it clicked which it did, did 90, click, that's fine, 100, click, OK, then I did one bolt at 110, click, OK so it's working, right? *turn turn turn* I started swearing I was overtightening, so I tried to get it reset again by lowering it down and reset it, and it worked good on the bolt, then the third one, thinking I had it all figured out and set, I started. I told my roommate, "This feels wierd. I don't like this. There's something wrong... I'm just going to do a little mor.... *snap* SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

So then I took the torque wrench and launched it away while yelling, "*EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE* *EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE**EXPLETIVE*"

And here I am now. I don't have a cherry picker, a shop crane, a hoist, or a chain. No pneumatic tools and no way to get the axles off without them. I am currently endeavoring to separate the block from the transmission... without removing the transmission. I think it's going to work just fine as it's separating very well... but I need to get the block hoisted up before removing the last mount that's keeping the block in... and regardless of how awesome I think I am, there's no way in hell I'm pulling that block up by my manpower.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

why were you torquing them down to 110 ft lbs?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

because specs call for 116-123 ft lbs
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm sorry Kris. I know this will hurt you but I seriously am not trying to kick you while you're down. The 92' and 95' online manuals both clearly say to tighten the head bolts in 2 or 3 steps to 56-60lb-ft.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I was using my torque wrench on my brothers truck, with exactly the same scenario.

60, feels good, 90, feels good, 110, this doesnt feel right... back down, try bumping it up again, and SNAP! s---!

torque wrench FTL. if you dont use it often enough, I think they seize on themselves. get a Snap-On.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

56-60 ft-lbs of torque in the service manual page B1-79

Where did you find over 100 ft-lbs?

Even ARP studs only go to 75 ft-lbs with their
moly lube they provide.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

wytbishop wrote:The 92' and 95' online manuals both clearly say to tighten the head bolts in 2 or 3 steps to 56-60lb-ft.
....shiiiit. The Haynes manual was listed the torque specs on the whole engine and I traced the wrong line so apparently I'm blind.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
zreon

Re: This Thread Proves SuperK is an Idiot

Post by zreon »

Ouch. I was in a similar situation with my old Fiero. I always triple check the line I am on now :/ Sorry to hear this K.
wytbishop

Re: This Thread Proves SuperK is an Idiot

Post by wytbishop »

YOu're not an idiot. Imagine being the guy at the stock exchange that entered a billion instead of a million and almost single handedly caved the American economy.

That guy was an idiot.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”