Just need some clarification

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
NateBaden
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Just need some clarification

Post by NateBaden »

Because my MX 3 is a 94 model would it have the OBD1 scanner port? and if so, is the "diagnosis" box behind the battery in my engine bay where the port is located??
i got a check engine light and can't seem to pinpoint the problem, so i am going to borrow a friends scanner but i need to know where the port is

thank you
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Just need some clarification

Post by umcamara »

Yes, that is the port. And you don't need a scanner, just a jumper wire (paper clip). Search on the forum for the procedure.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

alright thanks

found out its "Cam Position"
i am completely lost on that, is my cam not in the right position?? and if so how can i fix that? keeping in mind i have very few tools sorry for seeming like a complete newb but that kind of stuff i havent learned about quite yet
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

NateBaden wrote:alright thanks

found out its "Cam Position"
i am completely lost on that, is my cam not in the right position?? and if so how can i fix that? keeping in mind i have very few tools sorry for seeming like a complete newb but that kind of stuff i havent learned about quite yet
Cam position sensor is integrated into your distributor. Not sure if it's replaceable without replacing the whole distributor.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

is it s V6 or a 4 banger?
The V6 have 2 Cam sensors.Oone in the distributor and one at the crank. IIRC there are two different codes (one for each) so you know which one is bad. If I am wrong though, you will need a mechanic to tell you which one is bad since the electrical tool to test it is expensive.
The four banger only has one in the disty so that makes it a bit easier to tell. Also, I think you can buy just the sensor for the disty. However, that would require you to gut and replace it, and it does not sound like you have the skill for that just yet.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
NateBaden

Post by NateBaden »

its the V6
i could gut it and replace it but i have absolutely no tools

and my buddy scanned it for me and it came up as "Cam Position... Right Sensor"

and i can't seem to find out which sensor that is.. if you could help me out i would REALLY appreciate it, this is my only vehicle that can be driven right now, i have an auto civic but the damn thing wont start and its not registered at the moment
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

i dont have a clue on these sensors. but im having the same problem.. Right sensor too... anndddddd. screw your honda dude. sell that junk and you could buy your self some tools.
harthadavis

Post by harthadavis »

Oh yes, everything that I hated when I needed to change my O2S. I changed all the wrong page at a time and was scracthing my head, WTF!? Then I felt a bit silly, having found that I was on the wrong side happens to the best of us. I will find common questions on this issue CEL and send in the first, I will keep it updated so people do not miss it.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”