Adding cruise control

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
red17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Adding cruise control

Post by red17 »

so im goibg off to school this fall, about 7 hours away, and my mx doesnt have cruise control, and i am going to need it badly. anyone know about adding it? im not even sure if its possible.
MapaX5
antispam: No

Re: Adding cruise control

Post by MapaX5 »

I had previously tinkered with this, and I gotta tell you, it is NOT for the faint of heart.
If u have a v6, your wiring might already the there, if not...you're lookin at either hacking the job, or lots and lonts, and lots of hours and work.
I tried to do it, but the cc ecu is high up into the dash, and couldn't get to it, also, the actuator itself needs to be routed through the firewall and into the gas pedal assembly, plus you need the on/off switch from an early car, although the wiring is there.
I got most of the parts off the donor car, but I quit during the wiring.
It might be just me, but I wanted it to look as factory as possible.
Not to discourage you, but to give you a reality check.
For the record, I've done lost of stuff "just becuz", but this one aint one of'em.
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

the on/off buttons are only found in cars with CC stock, so you need to swap the upper dash harness to make it work. Its the blue plugs behind the cluster on the left. Runs all the dash, plus the blower motor. So, it goes everywhere. Pretty much involves dash removal.

That is, for a stock style installation. with stock CC units.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I contemplated this as well. Was actually going to rip out the whole dash during my BP and get the wiring ready for a future CC install.

But yeah... the wiring was too much for me.. maybe later I can do a semi-stock looking install and add it in.. but for now it's just too much work...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”