B6T crankshaft options

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

B6T crankshaft options

Post by wytbishop »

OK 4 cylinder geeks...I'm in need of your knowledge.

I have made an offer on a 88' 323 GTX. The car has been rally'd a bit and has predictable rust issues but it comes with a second complete, disassembled GTX engine with all the manifolds and a stock VJ14 turbo. The problem I found out yesterday is that the crank has been left unprotected and is quite badly rusted. Everything else looks to be in good condition so I'm considering rebuilding this engine.

I need to know what crankshafts are compatible. The GTX and early Miata B6's had a problem with the short snout crank/keyway thing and this is one of those cranks, although that doesn't seem to have been a problem in this case. Can I replace it with any DOHC B6 crank? I have read that they redesigned the crank in mid 91' with the larger diameter, longer snout. Is that the crank that they used in all DOHC B6's? Could I take the crank and oil pump from an MX-3 and put it in the GTX block? I understand that the GTX is forged and the others are probably cast, but I'll never find another forged one.

The other option I'm curious about is whether or not someone in the MX-3 community would be interested in purchasing the head, manifolds and turbo. From what I can tell they are all in excellent condition. Ayone have any thoughts on that?

Just gimme whatever opinions you have. Don't worry...I can take it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Re: B6T crankshaft options

Post by nos92mx3 »

Hmmmm i may have a b6t crank for you hidden somewhere in a closet, give me a day or 2 to dig =)
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”