K8 hesitation problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bpmazdamx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

K8 hesitation problem

Post by bpmazdamx3 »

Okay so I'm driving to my friends house and then all of a sudden my car was driving like s--- and started hesitating like it was going to die. So I pull off to the side cut the car off. Later that night i tried to drive it home (wasn't far) and it would bog down hesitate still and then pick up speed like it was driving normal then bog down again...

So I did some trouble shooting, thought it was the fuel pump, changed that, still same issue, got a new maf sensor, same issue, before i got the maf I checked the fuel pressure remained the same during and when the car was off (at 40). I guess the best way to describe whats going on is ill be in neutral and if i was to put the gas pedal all the way to the floor, it won't go above 2k rpms and drops to like 500rpms but doesn't die, but if i "slowly" put my foot on the gas it revs to 6-7k. Also when i put the gas pedal to the floor it backfires a bit etc. Mechanic looks at it and says he has no clue what is wrong and that all he knows is that its running rich... so at this point I just feel like a defeated being (lol) so please anyone that has any suggestions im open to them.
Muzzled

Re: K8 hesitation problem

Post by Muzzled »

try unplugging your iac...... like leave all the coolant lines in it but just disconnect the electrical part of it. see if that changes anything.

mine did similar things. tried this and noticed a drastic improvement.
92, Gs-Ze. KL31 motor/curve neck IM, Cai,Chipped ecu,awr mounts,clutchmasters stage 2 "R",
Se interior,Wrap around spoiler, oem full sides and MS front bumper :)
bpmazdamx3

Post by bpmazdamx3 »

Muzzled wrote:try unplugging your iac...... like leave all the coolant lines in it but just disconnect the electrical part of it. see if that changes anything.

mine did similar things. tried this and noticed a drastic improvement.
idle air control you mean?
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

check the usual suspects, plug wires, plugs, vac leaks, coolant temp sensor. Also when was the last good tune up (new plug wires, plugs cap rotor fuel fitler air filter etc)
bpmazdamx3

Post by bpmazdamx3 »

car has new plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor, checked all those, those are good but i didnt check the temp sensor... u think that would make my car idle terrible and not have power?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If it is the temp sensor it should run ok when the engine is still cold, but go to crap when it gets warmer. The car does not use the signal from the coolant sensor until it is starting to warm up. Check your crank sensor by the coolant sensor too. If the wire gets frayed it will run klind of crappy too.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
bpmazdamx3

Post by bpmazdamx3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:If it is the temp sensor it should run ok when the engine is still cold, but go to crap when it gets warmer. The car does not use the signal from the coolant sensor until it is starting to warm up. Check your crank sensor by the coolant sensor too. If the wire gets frayed it will run klind of crappy too.
well went to bring the car home from the mechanic and it started it fine and drove fine for a bit while COLD, but as soon as like you said the car started to warm up it started dying out. So I did a bunch of symptoms of a bad coolant sensor and my car seems to have all those symptoms. Car stutters while trying to accelerate and idles poorly. So I'm going to put in the coolant sensor and see what happens.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

buy a digital multimeter rather than just throw parts at it, proper troubleshooting will save you much more money than just throwing parts at the car in hopes that it fixes it. Any check engine lights by the way?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

sure sounds like your disty going out
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”