Finally swapping a BP into my 95

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zreon

Finally swapping a BP into my 95

Post by zreon »

Hey everyone.

I'm finally swapping a BP into my 95 mx-3. For the record, it is a OBD-I mx-3. I have read through the BP swap guide several times but am still uncertain about a couple of things.

If I purchase the engine from a 94 protege with the ecu and wiring harness, will I still have to modify the harness at all? I have also read before (at least I think I have) that there will be some modification required to make the a/c work.

I should be purchasing the engine this week and doing some maintenance on it before I put it in the car. My plan is to install it next weekend. I'm just making sure I have everything i will need and know most of what I will need so I'm not stuck without a running car for very long. There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on swapping into a 95. Is this just because some are OBD-II?

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm really looking forward to releasing my cars inner beast =)
Demonic1

Re: Finally swapping a BP into my 95

Post by Demonic1 »

I just did the BP swap for a second time (in a 92 OBD-I). Good luck ! it's not very hard.

First thing... I swore the 95 were OBD2

You'll need the BP engine, and the ECU from a 90-94 protege LX
If your car *is* OBD1 then you can use the wiring harness without any major modifications(1 wire for VICS) . The search function will help you on all that.
If your car is OBD2 then I'm not much help on it.
The main problem with doing the swap is the OBD-II connections. There is a lot more involved if you're going OBD1 to OBD2 or vice versa.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

To make it easy as pie, just grab the protege harness and everything is guaranteed to work.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
zreon

Post by zreon »

Well I've read that the early 95's were OBDI. Wouldn't I have a diagnostic port if it were OBDII? I check my engine codes by jumping GND and TEN. That would indicate I not II right?
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Right.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Yep your OB1

and i agree if you can grab the Protege wiring harness, it's a good idea. The B6 SOHC wiring harness will work, but I personally had an issue with the 2nd generation Protege fuel rail harness....
zreon

Post by zreon »

I will try to find the protege wiring harness. Unfortunately, the place I am getting the BP from only has the engine and no ECU or harness so I need to find them elsewhere.

Also, I should note I have a DOHC (99% sure at least). Its dark right now and I don't feel like running out there to check it. I will do that tomorrow to verify. Is it still better to find a protege harness?
zreon

Post by zreon »

Well I just got lucky on my first part towards the swap. I just logged on to ebay to see if any of those $100-$120 ecus were still listed so I could buy one. Then I see this newly listed one at the bottom for a BIN of $19.95 OBO. So I offer $15 and BOOM, I win :). So thats a nice start to all of this. I should be picking up the engine this weekend sometime. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Can't wait to get my baby healthy again, haha.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”