Any suggestions?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Berbz
antispam: No

Any suggestions?

Post by Berbz »

Ok so I am looking to buy another mx3. I have plans to just to a DE swap with a MTX. I have found two mx3s that I can choose from to buy. My problem is, I keep going back in forth with which one i want to buy because both of them have something i like about them than the other. So basically, I am just curious to what you mx3 pros have for an opinion on which one i should get. I will give a brief on each mx3

1. 1992 mx3 GS $650
missing front lip (typical)
two small rust spots
already has manual transmission
Like a candy blue color
About 5 hours away from where i live.

2. 1994 mxe GS $700
Missing fron lip too :[
body is mint conditon (car has been stored in barn for 5 years)
Prefer the bubble interior :]
interior is mint condition, no rips, nothing!
Teal in color
45 minutes away from where i live.
Has an automatic tranny that is bad ( I would have to buy all the parts for an atx to mtx swap )

I really like both but im deciding whats best. I am not made of money and either way it would be a slow project car for me to work on. I'm curious to hear your opinions! :]
Supppp
SteeleMX3

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by SteeleMX3 »

IMO it sounds like number 2 is a no-brainer...if you're planning a DE swap and you're taking your time than the tranny can be dealt with whilst in the thick of it all (auto to standard)
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Hmmm. Can you take pics of the rust? How many miles do they each have? Do they have the same options? I would CarFax them both for accidents, and such. Also consider OBDI, and OBDII, when thinking about wiring, and ECU, and which is more available at the JunkYard.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

fowljesse wrote:Hmmm. Can you take pics of the rust? How many miles do they each have? Do they have the same options? I would CarFax them both for accidents, and such. Also consider OBDI, and OBDII, when thinking about wiring, and ECU, and which is more available at the JunkYard.
They're both likely OBD-I. Personally I can't stand the teal color. If it weren't for that I'd go with number 2 as well.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

second that one. teal is fugly... if your doing a motor swap get the one that is the most visually pleasing. your not going to want to drop $1000-$1500 getting body work and a nice paint job on a $600 car are you?
Berbz

Post by Berbz »

Yes i agree too with the teal color, not the best in the world. The 92 is like that candy blue that looks pretty decent but has two small rust spots, which really isnt bad, but the teal one has the super clean and style interior i like but would also be more work to do the tranny swap for.

the 92 mx3 has high mileage but then again im swapping motors anyway.
The teal 94 only has 82,000 miles!
Supppp
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

go with teal. youll probably have alot less to deal with mechanically then the older one... other then the mtx swap that is... i read somewhere on here about adding an oil pump or cooler to the atx tranny that supposedly fixes the problem of them dieing so easily, but then again theres no point in using an atx on a de...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”