Question on Timing Belt Slap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Question on Timing Belt Slap

Post by Daninski »

Under acceleration and deceleration or even normal conditions how much belt slap would you expect to have, anyone? My friend has gone through 3 belts in 80k and he's beside himself as to the problem. I told him his tensioner is probably no good. He claims he can see a lot of belt slap (his covers are cut open).
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Question on Timing Belt Slap

Post by Tollis »

Are his covers cut open in a way that there going to cut the belt?
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Get a new tensioner. The T belt is supposed to last 70k and should be tight.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

...or an over-torqued tensioner pulley? I bought my mx3 with 165k and by the looks of the belt, I'm convinvced it's the original one... belt was tight and was not off at all (I still replaced it though).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Thanks
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You can’t really over-tension the timing belt on the K engines. The tensioner pulley just pivots...it’s the tensioner cylinder that creates the force on the belt and It’s just a hydraulic spring. I would say that if the tensioner is tensioning as it should there would be very minimal movement in the timing belt. I would also inspect all the sprockets and pulleys to make sure that something sharp like a burr or weird edge isn’t damaging the belt. Do you have an example of one of the belts that broke? If I could see how it broke it might give a clue as to why.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I was referring to the bolt that holds the pulley to the block. If that was too tight, it wouldn't pivot like it should. It's not very likely but it was just a suggestion.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
davmac

Post by davmac »

0 Tbelt slap - if the tensioner is working. The tensioner pulley should also be impossible to overtighten. The original bolt is a shoulder bolt with only threads at the end to anchor it on the front the engine but solid the length of the pulley so it can pivot. If someone put a different bolt in the tensioner pulley - now that might cause problems ...
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”