rpm gauge error

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cweed
antispam: No

rpm gauge error

Post by cweed »

my rpm gauge is acting up, heres what happend, I did the hei mod on my car and added a 1000ohm resistor on the tach signal wire, the rpm gauge was working fine, this was on my original cluster. on the original cluster the mph wasn't working and the fuel gauge needle was broken off when I tried to install reverse glow gauges. bought another used cluster because I was tired of not knowing how fast I was going and how much gas I had. I installed it and my mph and fuel finally worked but the rpm was off. when I start the car it says I idle at 2.5-3k rpm and when driving in 1st at 20mph i hit 6k rpm. my friend says it must be the hei mod throwing it off but it cant be since it worked fine with my original cluster. I changed the resistor and nothing changed. maybe the harness isn't pluged in correctly? anyone know?
'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: rpm gauge error

Post by Ryan »

What year cluster did you start with and which one did you change to?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
cweed

Post by cweed »

mine was from my 94 gs, the newer one I put in was bought from a member on here, I believe his was a 94 rs
'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

try swapping the rpm gauge from the old cluster into the new one. its held on by 4 or 5 screws on the back of the cluster. very easy to change. the screws make the electrical contacts so theres no wires or anything to change.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

That's the problem. The RS tach will definitely read higher than the GS tach. I know this first hand.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

That's the problem. The RS tach will definitely read higher than the GS tach. I know this first hand
if the circuitry on the back of the rs cluster is different it may be better for you to just carry the fuel/speedo gauges to the old cluster.

if you swap gauges make sure you have all the screws in place before you plug it back in. i forgot to put screws in my temp/gas gauge and now there broken...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”