Idle problem w/ smoke

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
magiccowinuse

Idle problem w/ smoke

Post by magiccowinuse »

Ok hears the problem:

For quite a while ( about 9 months to a yr) my car has (from a coast at any speed) idled at 1500 until i hit the brakes then drops down to somewhere in the range of 750rpm then works it way back to 1500 then again drops back to 750....and continues until stopped or let off the brake. Any Ideas? I read possibly the TPS and I am running to Autozone to pick one up right after this to see if it fixes the issue. I did have to take the transmission out 2 times in the past year or so but cannot recall if it happened since or before. (possibly hooked something up wrong or simply forgot?)

Second issue:

I am not sure if it is related or not but this just started 2 months or so ago. Once the car is warm you can smell and see white smoke coming from my engine. At first it looked as if it was coming from the CAT, but recent inspections looks like it is coming from the headers or the big cylinder just down the line from the headers (downpipe?) with the screen in it. It smells more like a mix of oil burn/belt burn. This did start shortly after i had replaced the alt. and P.S. belts. So that may explain the belt burn smell, but i tightened the s--- out of those belts because i kept breaking them. Possibly over tight?

I am more than happy to take pictures and circle things if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kyle
1994 1.6L White MX-3 - Daily Driver
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Idle problem w/ smoke

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I only read the first few lines. That is probably the most common issue ever. Please search. There are hundreds of topics on that idle issue.
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

Ok then read the second paragraph....i used the search thats how i came up with the TPS...just verifying since im already posting a topic for one thing might as well double check with my exact issues.

You cant read just "read the first lines" and think you know what the entire post is about. So please read the entire post before you make assumptions and deem me a dumba** for "not using the search". I have in google and this forum. Possibly I am not wording it right? If you know exactly where these topics are, instead of taking the time to type what you did you could have simply taken a minute or 2 to post a link.
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

my bad.

The influx of lazy noobs has made me this way. Just sick and tired of seeing the same sh!t over and over again.
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

I understand that man. I have been on this site for a few years now, on and off. I have kindof lost base of where stuff is since the last time i was on. I am more of a "lurker" I dont post unless i really must as you can probably tell from my post count. So NOOB would be incorrect.

on the other hand, yet another usless post instead of linking me to something or throwing out an idea. I will retype the whole thing with out the idle problem if it makes you happy. is the smoke issue that common as well? I mean im sure there is a thread or 2 out there on it somewhere, this site has just about everything now.
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Is the leak an exhaust leak? If it comes from any of the exhaust pipes, that's all it can be. If it comes from one of the flanges, you could likely just replace the gasket. If its the flex pipe (mesh thing), then I'd just leave it unless its getting smelly or loud inside the cabin. If its your belts, you might notice some black tar/dust type stuff around the belt area, and the mating surface of the belt will feel polished/smooth, and maybe even goey to the touch after running for awhile.

The idle problem is usually fixed with a good tuneup. See if you can rent a timing light, and buy a can of some sort of throttlebody cleaner, and readjust the TPS. All of this must be done in diagnostic mode.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

thank you thats mostly what i was looking for. i appreciate the help.
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

well did you replace the alternator ever?
cuz if so that could be the cause of you snapping belts.
the great guys at my local autozone sold me a mx6 alternator and i snapped like 6 belts, fried the alternator.
took it back to em and got the right one this time. (and a refund on all my belts)
you could also be tightening the belts too tight.
and if you have smoke.
it probally an exaust leak.
cuz if it was ur belt making that it would squeel like a sheep getting shaved.
and and yes ur tps is bad.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

i have replced my alternator after it took a dump a bit ago and i was snapping belts left and right because too loose (squealing) so i increasingly tightened them more and more each one. I dont smell that distinct belt burn smell anymore. i do believe they gave me the correct alt.

Thanks yea auto zone's computer said the manual TPS is square with 3 prongs when mine is round with 4 prongs (auto on their comp) so i made them order an auto one i hope thats the correct one because im kind of lost on why it would show automatic.

And white smoke would be an exhaust leak? thats kindof what i thought i wasn't sure if it would be a failed oil ring or something.

Thank you for your help really appreciated.
Kyle
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

well one way to check if you got the right alternator is to look down the belt and see if the pullys line up.
if they do and you still continues to squeel then you probally have a bent or loose pulley.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”