custom floor in trunk

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mikeinaus
antispam: No

custom floor in trunk

Post by mikeinaus »

so i got really tired of the shitty little piece of wood that covers the spare tire hole and the crappy fabric in the trunk so i decided to make my own floor panel. basically got a piece of 1/2" plywood cut it to the shape of the trunk, then made a removeable center piece for over the spare tire hole. i then got some pleather and glued/stapled it onto the wood backing i made. it turned out really nice and i thought itd be a good idea for people who want something similar. i dont know if its been done before but thought id share.

sorry for the dirty pics. my cam is too good i guess and decided to make the smallest pieces of dust look like its filthy. car is pretty dirty thow. sucks getting covered in mud at work then having to drive home.
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: custom floor in trunk

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

That idea is grand! Good looking out man!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That looks good!
It would be easier to get an idea of how it looks, exactly, if you'd take pics when it's cleaned up.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

ill give the car a good cleaning in the next couple of days and try and take some more pics. just picture what it looks like but without all the dirt smears and crumbs everywhere lol.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Looks good to me :) I'm sick of the cheap board that came with my car too. Any chance I could get the exact dimensions you used to cut out the board? Thanks! :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

MrMazda92 wrote:Any chance I could get the exact dimensions you used to cut out the board? Thanks! :)
x2 nice work that looks great!
bbox

Post by bbox »

lol it seems soooo pointless... I LIKE IT!!! lol but seriously thats a kool idea. but just throwing this out there... what about anyone using a similar idea with a sub box? like where you can have some easy acess point to the spare without needing to remove everything.
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i could try and figure them out for you but its fairly easy to get it right on your own. i just cut a piece of cardboard to make a template of the shape of the trunk. just play with cardboard until you get the perfect shape then copy it onto the wood. i basically smushed the carboard into the corner so i got it to crease in a rough shape then cut along the creases and trimmed till it was perfect. when you finally cut the wood cut a bit bigger then your line so you have room to trim and play with the shape until its perfect. basic dimensions if i remember right was 18" wide for the side piece then i went about 31" tall from the bottom point of the trunk towards the back seat. measure when you do it. the length wasnt a perfect 31" in my trunk it went 30" 1/2 then 31" 1/4 on the ends.

i also left about 1/4" gap between the sections for the thickness of the fabric. its a nice snug fit so the pieces dont move around while driving. i also just added a leather handle to the front of the center piece so its easy to put in and out.

for the handle i got a scap piece about 4" wide and maybe 18" long folded it 1/3 of the way across then the other 3rd back over and sewed both sides then folded it in half to make a loop and sewed a big rectangle with an x in the middle.

i actually have a custom box over the wheel well on my drivers side of the trunk. fits perfectly and gives plenty of storage.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

clean pics
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Haha, I like the beat up Mazda shop manual in the back of the seat.

Looks good too.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

I am doing this, good stuff! on a side note, take some pics of your interior! I wanna see your blue/black theme, we're like theme brothers :D

**EDIT: also, what do you do about the other stuff in the sides of the wheel well?
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

**EDIT: also, what do you do about the other stuff in the sides of the wheel well?
im not completely sure what you mean by that. if your talking about the washer fluid resevior i just left the floor panels free standing. there easy to put in and out but stay in place pretty well. my driver side well has a sub box in it... heres a pic of the dash

whered you get your seats steel? there pimpin...
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i like how beat up the sub box looks compared to the clean smooth floor XD
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah thats on the list. im gonna reapolster that soon too.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

forgot to add that your car looks pretty good!

Return to “Appearance”