5.0L Stang engine in MX-6??

Other - General Mazda Discussions
ManduMX6
antispam: No

5.0L Stang engine in MX-6??

Post by ManduMX6 »

So,

For the past while my bf and I have been tossing around idea's for which engine I want to swap in the MX-6. We were going to go with the KLZE but.. it's so common.. and we are the type that really enjoy a challenge. So, After reading that a MX6 apparently had a RX7 Rotory engine in it and the Miata's some how fit a 5.0L mustang motor in it... It seems like the 5L & Mazda's .. fit together.

SO... We are planning on a 5.0L 95-96 Ford Mustang engine, RWD Conversion, etc. N/A powered to drop in the MX-6.

I am having issues finding the dimensions of that motor and I can't get a straight answer for the dimensions for the KLDE/KLZE.

Anyone know or could help me find this info??
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 5.0L Stang engine in MX-6??

Post by Ryan »

We won't know a lot about dimensions of a motor that have nothing to do with this car, at all.

Good luck.

BTW, a BPT eats 5 L stang :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No, No, No, No, NO!

First of all, you can really do any type of engine conversion on a Miata since it's RWD. There are many odd swaps done in many types of RWD cars. For the Miata, you can even get a kit specifically for the 5.0L.

Doing the conversion to a FWD to make it RWD is complicated at best. There are a few out there, but they're not pretty.

Here's a RWD KL being put into a Probe. It'll give you a good deal on what needs to be done:
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... hlight=rwd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look around the internet for other FWD-RWD conversions, you'll get a good idea on what's involved.

In the end, I'd put money on the table saying that you'll end up with a torn apart Mx-6 and and project that wouldn't be completed
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

ManduMX6 wrote:So,

For the past while my bf and I have been tossing around idea's for which engine I want to swap in the MX-6. We were going to go with the KLZE but.. it's so common.. and we are the type that really enjoy a challenge. So, After reading that a MX6 apparently had a RX7 Rotory engine in it and the Miata's some how fit a 5.0L mustang motor in it... It seems like the 5L & Mazda's .. fit together.
Yea if you have a RWD platform where the chassis and body are designed for a longitudinal motor/trans setup.
ManduMX6 wrote:SO... We are planning on a 5.0L 95-96 Ford Mustang engine, RWD Conversion, etc. N/A powered to drop in the MX-6.

I am having issues finding the dimensions of that motor and I can't get a straight answer for the dimensions for the KLDE/KLZE.

Anyone know or could help me find this info??
Look elsewhere for that info like google, mx6.com etc. Also search for posts by DanSac on probetalk.. He was building a LS1 Ford Probe.. That he recently sold as well. That would be similar along the lines of what you want to do here.

Good luck....

*Edit* Haha you beat me to it man!
ManduMX6
antispam: No

Post by ManduMX6 »

Hmmm.. I'll look into it more closely then. I guess the ZE swap is a much better bet eh? I guess I could stick with the challenge of getting the most power out of a ZE strictly N/A. :)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, it would be easier to cut the bottom out of the MX-3, and weld it onto V8 rwd car with a similar wheelbase :)
However, if you really want a challenge, build a N/A DE for power as I'm doing. I've got a jump on you, but if you have a budget, you might catch up, but be warned, I use VooDoo!
Next time I get to a dyno, I should be in the 210-230whp range. I'm actually going for the highest HP N/A KL ever (with VRIS intact). You can get more N/A power from a DE than you can a ZE, because there's more thickness everywhere to port out, and has a more reliable valve train.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “General Mazda”