Edit: Delete this thread please

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Edit: Delete this thread please

Post by MrMazda92 »

I can't delete my thread myself, so I request that somebody does it for me. People were seemingly incapable of reading all the posts before replying with "buy new ones" and other quite obviously wise ideas.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on December 27th, 2009, 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
PoisonDrop

Re: Rear Hatch problem(Bad struts?)

Post by PoisonDrop »

I'd say the junker set is bad as well...

Just purchase those new. I've come across some online for around $30 each...

Stay away from the dealer, though, they will charge way too much.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I got some for mom's car for like $34 shipped on ebay.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Forgive me if I've made an ignorant mistake, but I was very thorough in examining the ones at the wreckers.

They supported the other hatch very well and had alot of resistance when I took them off. They worked amazingly in that car, like brand new. The problem was they ceased to function at all when I put them in my own car.

Does anyone have an idea what might have happened?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Don't worry about what may have happened. Clearly they're no good, get some new ones. They'd been in that car for quite some time, maybe the rotation of the shafts after being removed caused the gas to leak out, who knows...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Was there a temerature difference from when they were on either car? Mine barely work in the summer, and don't work in the winter. Also, if the junk car was an rs, the hatch would be lighter.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The temperature was the same, both cars are GS.

I didn't spin them around after removing them, I put them in a box and they stayed there for 2 days in my trunk until I installed them.
I don't want to just buy brand new ones because I don't yet know the cause of the problem.

Forgive me if you find this rude but... I won't go out and waste money buying 2 brand new ones when I may well have a problem that ruins them as well. I'd like to be well informed before making any investment, no matter how small. If I buy 2 new ones and have the same problem, I'll be out even more money. I don't like quick fixes; If I fix something, I do it once and I do it right.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Man, it's not a complex system, it's a hatch. There's nothing in particular causing the struts to wear out, other than the fact that they hold up a heavy hatch. There's really nothing that could be causing your struts to pre-maturely wear out, as you seem to be convinced is the case.

Don't get new struts, and let your sawed-off golf club slip, and hatch take your head off. Up to you.

Was the hatch at the wrecker missing the glass, spoiler, plastic interior trim pieces, wiper and motor, lock mechanism, or brake light, as most are?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote:Man, it's not a complex system, it's a hatch. There's nothing in particular causing the struts to wear out, other than the fact that they hold up a heavy hatch. There's really nothing that could be causing your struts to pre-maturely wear out, as you seem to be convinced is the case.

Don't get new struts, and let your sawed-off golf club slip, and hatch take your head off. Up to you.

Was the hatch at the wrecker missing the glass, spoiler, plastic interior trim pieces, wiper and motor, lock mechanism, or brake light, as most are?
Why of course, why didn't I think of that... it was a pair of struts holding up empty air. How naive of me...

Yeah it had everything attached, and as I said earlier(You should read ALL my posts, not just the last 2) They weighed approximately the same amount, as is to be expected. There is no explanation I can think of whatsoever.

I don't pretend to understand your financial situation, but I know my own better than you ever will. I cannot afford to waste money on something that might not work. I put money into things I expect to work, based on known facts and likely outcomes of said facts. I may be new to these cars, but I do not lack common sense. Please refrain from treating me like a child in future, or if you are steadfast in your beliefs... feel free to not post on my thread. Nobody held a gun to your head mate.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I would've closed and opened hatch a few times on the parts car and see if they were good. I think that they just had enough gas to stay open for short bit and once you got them on your car they couldn't hold it up anymore.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:I would've closed and opened hatch a few times on the parts car and see if they were good. I think that they just had enough gas to stay open for short bit and once you got them on your car they couldn't hold it up anymore.
I put in my original post that I did exactly that... I mean no insult but you guys need to read posts before you reply...
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Savin

Post by Savin »

You say it weighs "about the same" but that slight difference is enough. When I had just the RS hatch garnish on my car, the hatch opened on its own. When I had the 92-93 GS spoiler on it, it would not open on its own, but it would stay where you left it. And when i put the wraparound 94+ GS spoiler, it wouldn't stay up at all.

Just a thought.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Savin wrote:You say it weighs "about the same" but that slight difference is enough. When I had just the RS hatch garnish on my car, the hatch opened on its own. When I had the 92-93 GS spoiler on it, it would not open on its own, but it would stay where you left it. And when i put the wraparound 94+ GS spoiler, it wouldn't stay up at all.

Just a thought.
I'm a pretty good judge of weights, next time I'll shoot video of both hatches so there is no doubt... since several people seem to doubt not only my vision, but my judgement as well.

So what will happen when I do as several people seem to think is wise and buy 2 new struts... and they fail to function properly? You go "oops" and I get to pay for it? No.

Sorry, but I'm getting impatient... I'll delete and repost this thread with the request that people actually READ the posts before replying.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Savin

Post by Savin »

I was just throwing my own experiences out there to help. Also just as another "info tossing out session" the differences in weight between the 3 hatch "spoilers" isn't much at all. I couldn't tell the difference between the 3 when picking up my hatch.

I guess the help you're looking for is: check to see if the mounting points for the struts aren't messed up (slightly bent, etc). that may have put increased stress on the struts and prematurely blown them? :shrug:

Everything else has been said already....We are only trying to help the best we can though...
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Savin wrote:I was just throwing my own experiences out there to help. Also just as another "info tossing out session" the differences in weight between the 3 hatch "spoilers" isn't much at all. I couldn't tell the difference between the 3 when picking up my hatch.

I guess the help you're looking for is: check to see if the mounting points for the struts aren't messed up (slightly bent, etc). that may have put increased stress on the struts and prematurely blown them? :shrug:

Everything else has been said already....We are only trying to help the best we can though...

I appreciate the advice on checking the mounting points. That I will do, as I did have trouble getting one of them to thread in. Maybe the hatch was tweaked in a way that I would not notice unless I looked closely for just that.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”