Headlight main beam problems help needed

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
sam69

Headlight main beam problems help needed

Post by sam69 »

whenever i am using my lights and switch my high beams on the dash lights and rear lights go out, i have looked in the fuse box for blown fuses and the like but to no avail. also when i turn my front fog lights on when using my headlights the dash dims. I have checked my front fogs and i noticed that one of them was blown and with what looked like a lot of condensation on the inside of it. Could this be my problem?? or is this a bigger problem than just a front fog being blown??
'92 MX3 1.8 DOHC 24 valve V6
stepchyld

Re: Headlight main beam problems help needed

Post by stepchyld »

I had a similar issue with my gs recently. When hitting the brakes, my other lights would dim considerably. Eventually, the car was near stalling out when applying brakes. Popped the caps on my battery and found water level was low. I filled up all 6 holes with distilled water and charged the battery. Problem was solved. I'd suggest checking that. Any auto store will check charging system for free, but likely would try to sell you a new battery. I never had mine tested, so can't relay anything from that.
If your fog light was causing a real problem, i'd think it would just blow a fuse.
Seems to me your problem is more charging system-related...
Check terminals for corrosion as well.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”