car keeps dying!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
96chris
antispam: No

car keeps dying!

Post by 96chris »

now i have a different problem on my hands. thought the alternator went, so i took it out and got it tested.. it was fine. so then took the battery out and it was too dead to even test if its still good or not. but its only like a year old battery. so i have it on a trickle charge right now, then going to see if it works. it was wierd i was drivin to my buddies place the other night and i was turning a corner and went on the breaks then my radio died? took my foot off then it went back on. did it a few more times then it never came back on. so i got there visited for a bit then went to leave and the battery was stone dead. so i got boosted but would bog right out and not even let me barley on the gas. so made it half way home and it died. got a boost made it further then died. then i made it home. boosted it today let it sit running for awhile but in netural still wouldnt let me on the gas and bad back fire under the hood when i give it lots of gas.. pushed the clutch in and died..
96 RS DOHC
-lowered
-glow gauges
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: car keeps dying!

Post by Ryan »

Sheesh, I dislike how people continue to drive a car that barely runs.

Check the basics. Strong spark? Idle set correctly? Good fuel pressure? VAC LEAKS? Clean up the grounds. Clean up battery terminals. Don't just ignore it.

If you want procedures on how to check all of these... ask nicely, or get a mechanic.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ice in the fuel line.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Danny, you must know I hate that argument. Last winter I poured gas and water together in my mother's bakeware and left it outside overnight during the cold snaps.. you know, where your piss freezes before it hits the ground...

#1 the gas and water separate like mad, but according to high school chem, there is always SOME degree of mixing between polar and nonpolar substances.

#2 according to my home-science that doesn't mean the gas freezes. Only the 50/50 mix really made slushie, but if your tank is 50/50, you're not going anywhere, even in summer.

#3 winter gas contains additives to stop this (nonpolar substance, like ethanol, that combines with the water and keeps it from freezing)

I'm dead set against frozen gas lines. I must see the slush come out from the rail before I'll believe it, because the rest of science goes very much against it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Jwk77
antispam: No

Post by Jwk77 »

to your power issue you could have a draw on your electrical system why you have a dead bat check your strereo and around your brake pedal and brake light for open wires also the bat could have a bad cell. also most stereos cut out when low on power when your pressing on your brakes your taking power away from it so it could have cut out and low power could mess with computer, fuel press etc

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”