Themolic-Spacers
Pacesetter headers
External HEi and RX7 coil pack
Ngk wires... ngk vpowers 5 or 6 ill have to check the plug number
UDP
Millenia 110 amp Alternator
A/c and ps still working

AFPR But not installed

I have a Nitrous kit, its a full wet kit and its a high dollar setup. capable to flow a 400 hp shot...lol

What mods are left???????

Im wonderin if i should Upgrade cams to KLDE OR KLZE cams i have the kf01, they kinda reak..... i was also lookin at a shaft style supercharger from probetalk. it ran 4 psi max on a switch.

Im also wanting small info but this is for knowing only not really a big concern......
I know the kf is the same stroke as a k8 just a higher compression and a little bit bigger bore,
Are the cranks a huge differnece in the k8, kf and kl ?
Can a k8/kf use kl rods
Would a k8/kf rod accept a kl piston?
wytbishop

Re: Engine modding, Help appreciated

Post by wytbishop »

Ok...first to my knowledge Thenolic is not a word. Phenolic spacers are made of a material called Phenolite, a material which is both electrically and thermally non-conductive. I just don't want the other kids making fun of you.

AS far as KF vs. KKL...I dont' know much about the KF but I would be surprised if the rods and crank are the same...and a 2.5L piston will not fit in a 2.0L block.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

more power is not hard to figure out, but I would not waste money on electric superchargers and that kind of crap. start a turbo build or buy another motor and start collecting parts to "build" it up. The real power is expensive, so if you do not have that kind of money then work on your driver skills. That is where 90% of your speed is going to come from anyway. Unless you do not race and then driver skill does not mean much so you should just save your money... ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you want kl31 cams, you want to look into upgrading to megasquirt. 2.25" exhaust back will get you some gains. Lighten flywheel will bump up your whp a hair.

swapping the cranks not going to do anything for you.

If you're only looking for 4psi, you should just get the ebay turbo kit, you could run 5psi easy, probably 7-8 psi safely with megasquirt.
I can help you get into the really dirty stuff if you're interested in making power, but its going to be costly as its all pretty much custom...
Just the head work I had done to mine was about 3k @ sunbelt performance up in buford.

with the extra bolt ons, cams, and megasquirt, you should be able to reach around 170-180whp *being that the base dyno for a kfze is about 140whp*

on turbo with all the bolt ons, megasquirt etc, you're probably looking at about 230whp on 5psi. (loose number)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

Pat sorry if i was misleading when i ment a shaft style suprcharger on a switch its not the electric pos's from ebay.
its a supercharger thats clutched like a a/c compressor.

And i have one turbo car already that i've built, from the grounbd up myself, its the car that i'd like to take autocrossing but until then i have curvy mountain roads to satisfy me

and Mnemonic would a supercharger be decent compared to a turbo on this motor if all i do is install cams? im not wanting to do the valves or porting, BUT i wouldnt mind bolting 2.5 head on
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

well you'll need a custom head gasket to do a 2.5 head on a 2.0 as they don't match up 100%

supercharger would yield similar power, but the down side is there is no bolt on supercharger setup for the mx-3. So you would have the same amount of power for more money... for 5 psi there is nothing wrong with an ebay turbo setup and with a small turbo you're likely to spool from the get go anyway...
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Wow, am I the first to say swap in a klze? Respect for going the kf route, however.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
nlsolja123

Post by nlsolja123 »

although i do agree a klze is a simple solution, but its only what around 30hp/30tq

heres the wikipedia comparison

kf 160-170hp , kl is 190-200hp.
130-145tq 160-170tq

and i have a freshly swapped kf so, thats kinda pointless to swap again,
I choose the kf due to it being 175$ usd and the klze was around 800.

What is the recommended use a turbo, or use my nitrous kit i have already? I could always sell the nitrous,,,?????
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

Sell the Nos kit and build a turbosetup..

The k8 has the smallest journals of all the K series cranks, and will not interchange into KL / KF blocks
a low psi setup and a aftermarket fuel management system and a good tune your away laughing..

I have my book of figures somewhere around here...

You don't need to crack the block open till you really start to make HP and then you need to do the
toyota gearbox conversion as the gearbox is the weak link in the whole chain..
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

nlsolja123 wrote:although i do agree a klze is a simple solution, but its only what around 30hp/30tq

heres the wikipedia comparison

kf 160-170hp , kl is 190-200hp.
130-145tq 160-170tq

and i have a freshly swapped kf so, thats kinda pointless to swap again,
I choose the kf due to it being 175$ usd and the klze was around 800.

What is the recommended use a turbo, or use my nitrous kit i have already? I could always sell the nitrous,,,?????
I dont know about the kf.... even a new kf wont be as fast as a klze or a modded klde. The hp is there. but the torque is not.

going from the k8 to the kf felt like a different car, but going from the kf to the ze felt like a total different monster.... but going from n/a ze to a turbo ze was like comparing the monkey from the movie congo and king kong being the bigger difference..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”