Is 104bhp good?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
JH1rvey
antispam: No

Is 104bhp good?

Post by JH1rvey »

I took my car to the Dyno road to measure top speed and max bhp before I start messing with it. On the Rolling road it made 104.1 bhp and topped out at 125mph accorrding to the machine.

I'm just woundering if this is good for a standard 1600?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: Is 104bhp good?

Post by umcamara »

Depends what year it is. The '94+ DOHC was capable of producing 105 bhp, whereas as the pre-'94 was only capable of around 88 bhp.

I don't see how you could have measured bhp on a rolling dyno... You'd need to measure the power directly at the crankshaft to measure bhp. The dyno has no idea what sort of losses are present in the transaxle, pullies, bearings etc. :shrug:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
JH1rvey

Post by JH1rvey »

Yes but it's what itis at the wheel.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Brake horsepower (bhp) is at the crank, not at the wheels (whp).

And a B6 would not put out 104 whp unless there were some serious mods.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

its not bad for a daily driver car. You need a btp swap to get some more power, even a bp swap?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
JH1rvey

Post by JH1rvey »

more or less this car is a stand in whilst I wait for a Celica GT4/All Track. Don't get me wrong MX3 is a lovly little car but it's not a drivers car it's a posers car. It is more happy to tutel down to the corner shop like a Labrador, when what I want is a Pit Bull a nasty agressive but can fool you into thinking its nice.

I'll probley go as far as a light tub's conversion around 130-170bhp~. Keep the MX as a collectors item/ work car. It would be easier if it wasn't heavily moded to switch back to normal.

Plus before anyone mentions the the Celica is as rear, I will also keep the GT4 as a collectors as a weekend car.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

mx3 is a posers car ? i see you arent trying to make any friends on the forum ...
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Especially pitting it against a Celica :P Now if thats not a girl car....

If you want pitbull bark and bite, get a 5+L V8, preferably in something small...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

JWMX3 wrote:mx3 is a posers car ? i see you arent trying to make any friends on the forum ...
That's what I was thinking. Essentially the same as saying, "Hey, u guys wanna hang out? By the way, ur a buncha a--holes!"
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
JH1rvey

Post by JH1rvey »

Dont get me wrong but lets be honest the 1600 is a little limp wristed when you have driven GT4 in past when my (dad) lent me his, I have driven mk5 gti (friends), test drove a 944 tubs for a (friend) who knows nothing bout cars, also driven (dads) Glanza V tubs, have driven a Clio sport 182 & 197; 182 (friends) 197 (invited test drive), GTI pug (colleges), Metro GTI (test drove), Citeron VTR (mine) also VTS (test drove).

So to me it's a little slow dont get me wrong it has the power to show up regular cars but when you get beaten by a VRS Fabia then you know that the car isn't the fastest ever built.

What it does, it does well, however there just isn't excitment. Thrill of opening the taps and being hurled into speed. It's fast in that it's very smooth but I like to feel the power.

I would buy a 5+L V8 but fuel in england is rediculasly expensive. Well over a pound a letre. It wouldn't be a second car more like a 3rd in the unuesal event that both the sports car and the econo sports happen to be in the garage at the same time.

So I'm not having a dig at your MX's, your MX's are probley wounderful cars so's mine but it doesn't have that get up and go factor.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

lol

Posers car? Enjoy the rust prone body of the gt4 and the leaky sunroof. Your dog's got mange, best put it down.

Just cuz your car is slow does not mean the rest of them are. Check out your own wrist, it's probably the limp one. Try turning a wrench once and a while. How do you b!tch about a something and do nothing about it?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Bring the wrath of the 300+ WHP members.. :P

Sure the 1.6 is weak. Its also 15 years old.

A turbo will fix it, as will a 2.5L swap. If you want more speed, throw a turbo on that, and you'll be beating 350z's in the straight and RX8's in the twisties...

For a quarter the price :shrug:

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

It really doesn't matter which car is faster than which, and blah blah blah... The point is the snotty brat came on here and basically told us we're all posers.

Were you expecting a warm welcome at that point? Go drive and pretend to own all your friends' and parents' cars.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

JH1rvey wrote:...it's not a drivers car it's a posers car...
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

And its funny, because the MX3 was a rave hit globally for the time it was in production, as a sport(drivers) vehicle. The quick discovery of the 2.5L engines, plus backyard engineers, we've made this thing continue to kick a-- almost 20 years later. Sure, compare a stock beaten up tired MX to newer cars, with fresh motors, newer techology... what do you expect? Put a little TLC back into one, and you'll be pleasantly surprised, and realize that they weren't wrong being excited by this vehicle in the past...

And one more thing, your waddle-to-the-store vehicle doesn't usually have multi stage VRIS, and a 72000rpm redline, on the worlds smallest production V6, with passive rear steering, among other things... Generally a brilliant motor and car, for its time. Grab a carolla or sentra for store runs.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”