1.6 to 2.5 possible?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
TurboMx3
antispam: No

1.6 to 2.5 possible?

Post by TurboMx3 »

I've been debating for a while whether to put a BP series in which ive seen basically every 1.6 liter mx3 do, or if it is possible to put a KLZE 2.5 in there. Are the motor mounts the same? And if i do get the KLZE its comes with a 5 speed transmission, ECU KL31, engine of course, distributor, altenator, starter, A/C compressor, power steering pump, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, Throttle body, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and half shaft. Is it possible? Also what are people views on turboing a KLZE ive heard its bad because of the high compression ratio but it shouldnt be a problem if you dont put too much boost should it?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 1.6 to 2.5 possible?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ya, umm ok

what year of car do you have? Whats with the B6 hate?

anything can be done if you have the time and $.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Yep. Exactly what RS said.

Yeah you can do it. If you have the knowledge, time and money.

If you ask me, it's not worth it. The B6 is a great engine. You can turbo it for a fraction of the money it'd take you to swap.
Or you could swap for a (much easier, since it's a direct bolt on) BP, and turbo it. Either option would be much cheaper and easier to do than a B6-KL swap.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

1.6 to 2.5 is not the way to go. Easier to sell your car and buy a GS. Go with the B6 and turbo, less work, less money(well maybe not), less pain in the a** factor.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
TurboMx3

Post by TurboMx3 »

ya, umm ok

what year of car do you have? Whats with the B6 hate?

anything can be done if you have the time and $.
Yep. Exactly what RS said.

Yeah you can do it. If you have the knowledge, time and money.

If you ask me, it's not worth it. The B6 is a great engine. You can turbo it for a fraction of the money it'd take you to swap.
Or you could swap for a (much easier, since it's a direct bolt on) BP, and turbo it. Either option would be much cheaper and easier to do than a B6-KL swap.

Ok i do not "hate" the B6 but I have driven cars with alot more power than an 88 horsepower engine plus the fact that mine has 185,000 + miles on it so i think its a good idea to start lookin into a new more powerful engine. I have done tons of research on the BP series and know what they are capable of. I was just curious if a KL was possible itd be nice to have that V6 sound:).
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Haven't research the BP enough.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Haven't researched enough period or he'd have come across the b6->kl and k8->b worklogs.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
TurboMx3

Post by TurboMx3 »

Ryan wrote:Haven't researched enough period or he'd have come across the b6->kl and k8->b worklogs.
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:Haven't research the BP enough.
Ok first of all you all dont know how much I hve researched the BP so dont go around assuming that I dont know what im talking about. As for the comment about the logs of the swaps I did not say I stuck strictly to this site for my research. I am pretty much heartset on the BP but was just purely wondering wether or not i could do the KLZE. Thats it.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Anything is possible but putting a KL into an RS model MX-3
is like serving pork to insurgents. You can do it but it will likely
be a painful experience.
TurboMx3

Post by TurboMx3 »

Thanks now i know that i can but itd be a pain in the a-- ill go with the bp and turbo it
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Mi|<E wrote:Anything is possible but putting a KL into an RS model MX-3
is like serving pork to insurgents. You can do it but it will likely
be a painful experience.
LOL!
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

for what its worth, it doesnt really take much to swap a 4 to a 6. the only problem is the fuel lines and heater core lines need to be extended. i've been looking throughb my old pictures of when i was rebuilding my b6 and comparing them to the gs i pulled my ze from and really it can be done fairly easy. but i do admit i orrignally wanted the bp :P but since i never managed to get one or find one that wasnt beat to hell i jsut went this way after casue it was there

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”