MX3 97 1600 Turbo?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
JH1rvey
antispam: No

MX3 97 1600 Turbo?

Post by JH1rvey »

Hi everyone i'm knew to the site and am looking for some help. My dads giving me he's 3 but i've always found it to be a little slow. Turbo or Super is the easyest way I can think of to get what I want. after all what I would idealy want is a Celica GT4 so you can tell I love my speed, but at 22-23 insurance would just laugh at me.

I'm woundering just what I will need to upgrade my MX3 to a turbo/supercharger?

It's a 97 'R' plate example I will be rebuilding the engine in the coming years as she's got nearly 150k an when I do I'll be wanting to add a turbo.

Has anyone done the DOCH TWIN. There is a guy deals with exuasht not far from me an so i'm sure he can rig somthing up as he makes the exaust from scratch.

He's good he managed to rig a 3' exuasht on a Starlet Glanza 'V' straight through.

So any help will be apreciated. Thank you :D
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MX3 97 1600 Turbo?

Post by Ryan »

You've got an odd year of car. 1.6L DOHC, OBDII.

Generally speaking, if you want performance, you're starting on the worst platform this car offers.

If you just want to boost it:

-No one really runs superchargers. We've found turbo to me tenfold easier, and just as effective.
-Check worklogs, FAQ's and use the search link. I don't really want to research your project for you, and if you have no idea what you're doing, you'll fail anyway.
-Most will recommend full standalone, such as Megasquirt. Gets rid of the OBDII bull as well.
-Where are you located? I'm pretty sure 97's didn't come in North America....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Norhing wrong with boosting an OBDII b6. Unless its an automatic.
save some money and never stop reading. I'll be roasting ZE's when my clutch gets in.
JH1rvey

Post by JH1rvey »

That model might not not have come to the US as it was built and stayed in the UK, however i'm not one to give up just because it's the wrong engine worst comes to worse i'll do an engine transplant from the MX6 V6.
Would the 323 Tubs fit in? :? Don't ask me where I'll find one, but that's another story.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

no v6's.
the 323 can fit (turbo and mani). - but this is only one very small piece.

First off. Do you have an Auto or Manual tranny?
I would not think about a turbo upgrade on an auto. Not really worth all the work, unless you end up going standalone ems.

Have you searched? Have you checked out any of the worklogs? All your options have been done and documented here. All you have to do is find them.
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

i'm working on a batch of b6 turbo manifolds right now they will be 500$ can and will have a t3 flange and external waste gate flange for a tial 38 mm waste gate
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JH1rvey

Post by JH1rvey »

Its a manual car even If it was automatic I know a place by me they can do almost anything with tranny's and box's they rebuilt my old Xsara VTR so as it would cope of the motorway's better with a stronger final drive an a differnet fifth gear ratio, they also put a race clutch in it. where ever that car is I bet that the owner is haveing a load of fun.
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

it's also very easy to swap over to 5 speed...search on this forum and you'll find soem how to....that's what got me to switch from auto to 5 speed...cost me 500$
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

slighty more involved on the OBDII
JH1rvey

Post by JH1rvey »

The car is defenatly a manual with the usal MX3 noticeyness :crying: .

Return to “Forced Induction”