HELP! Failed 2500RPM CO% on Drive Clean

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

HELP! Failed 2500RPM CO% on Drive Clean

Post by Daninski »

OK so CO is usually the result of incomplete combustion right. I had 2.02 and the ceiling is 1.50 The mechanic suggested a new air filter and plugs and a horse shoe up my wazoo for luck. I noticed the idle was 650-670 so I'll adjust that and check the timing. Other than installing a temp stock cat (it has a magnaflow right now) any other suggestions? I plan on doing the 2.5oz acetone thing as well.

By the way at idle CO% was .02 with a limit of 1.50
If the car has sat for a long time I've heard that can effect the test as well?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: HELP! Failed 2500RPM CO% on Drive Clean

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Hey Dan. From my knowledge it can't just happen on its own - in order to have high CO that means there is not enough oxygen after combustion for CO to turn into CO2, so that means you are running rich. Does that coincide with your dilution on the sheet? I know oxygen sensors can cause this, if they're old and depleted they will tend to give a lean signal thus making the ECU enrich the mixture. Let me know if this helps.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

As Per Drive Clean Certification Manual version 8.7

section 2.20.3 -How Drive Clean Facilities Inspect and Test Hot Rods and Grey market vehicles

"For Vehicles registered with model years prior to 2000 the DFC will perform a Pre-test check and inspect for the presence of gas caps only.
They will be tested to 1980 model year emissions standards."

Tell the guy your engine is 700 cc bigger displacement than stock which qualifies it as a hot rod, then tell him to look up 2.20.3 in his manual. shouldnt need any proof, unless the guy is an A-hole. its perfectly legal.

the higher the CO the richer its running.. what ze dosent run rich ? Get it tested hot rod ! good luck
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

It's being tested under Hot Rod, I got a letter from the dealer. I still failed. I'll check the age of the O2 sensors as well. Thanks
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Holy crap... I didnt think that was possible... the limits for hot rod are huge compared to normal.
Ive passed them with no cat at all...
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

JWMX3 wrote:Holy crap... I didnt think that was possible... the limits for hot rod are huge compared to normal.
Ive passed them with no cat at all...
I passed by a large margin with no O2 sensors or EGR, something is definitely wrong in your case.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

They had other vehicles running in a closed shop. I questioned if the air quality in the shop could effect the test and the mech. said no. Sh*t in sh*t out I say. Anyway I heard you can't pass Clean Air with a KL31 ECU or at least it really hard, comments?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

are you positive they ran it in a hot rod test mode? its very easy to make the mistake and run it as a normal ASM test. ask them to re-run it again and to make sure it was in hot rod mode. if it fails you dont pay.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Daninski wrote:They had other vehicles running in a closed shop. I questioned if the air quality in the shop could effect the test and the mech. said no. Sh*t in sh*t out I say. Anyway I heard you can't pass Clean Air with a KL31 ECU or at least it really hard, comments?
I passed mine with a KL31 chip in my K8 ECU.

Also, how did my manage to find a private shop that will run it under hot rod standards? I could only find one canadian tire that would, every other shop gave me a different stupid excuse.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

Mad Cow wrote:
Daninski wrote:They had other vehicles running in a closed shop. I questioned if the air quality in the shop could effect the test and the mech. said no. Sh*t in sh*t out I say. Anyway I heard you can't pass Clean Air with a KL31 ECU or at least it really hard, comments?

Also, how did my manage to find a private shop that will run it under hot rod standards? I could only find one canadian tire that would, every other shop gave me a different stupid excuse.
because they are stupid and worried about getting into trouble with the ministry.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

projectzemx3 wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:

because they are stupid and worried about getting into trouble with the ministry.

I know, I had one shop tell me that they won't do it because the motor is made by the same company, and one refused to even acknowledge that this law existed. I was ready to get a ford valve cover and say it came out of a probe.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Go to the Mazda Dealership and they will write you a letter for free. Present that letter to the drive clean place and they have to accept it.

Anyway I checked the oil and it was really dirty so i changed it. I installed a new air filter (Reactive high flow) and I added some injector cleaner to my gas. I'll install new plugs tomorrow, drive the injector cleaner through, fill up with Sunoco 94 and see if that does the trick. If not I'll go on a Clean Air rampage and burn down all the test facilities in my area. That may be my only option.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Daninski wrote: If not I'll go on a Clean Air rampage and burn down all the test facilities in my area. That may be my only option.

I guess we cant expect much from drive clean inspectors as far as knowledge of the rule book.... after all, it takes a whole DAY to get certified. most of them are probably crackheads that live in the apartment building beside canadian tire.

Hey I like arson and molotov cocktails...can i come ?!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

JWMX3 wrote:
Daninski wrote: If not I'll go on a Clean Air rampage and burn down all the test facilities in my area. That may be my only option.

I guess we cant expect much from drive clean inspectors as far as knowledge of the rule book.... after all, it takes a whole DAY to get certified. most of them are probably crackheads that live in the apartment building beside canadian tire.

Hey I like arson and molotov cocktails...can i come ?!
Ya wit da Michael Jordan sneakers hangin over da power wires out front.
Last edited by Daninski on November 24th, 2009, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

Daninski wrote:Go to the Mazda Dealership and they will write you a letter for free. Present that letter to the drive clean place and they have to accept it.

Anyway I checked the oil and it was really dirty so i changed it. I installed a new air filter (Reactive high flow) and I added some injector cleaner to my gas. I'll install new plugs tomorrow, drive the injector cleaner through, fill up with Sunoco 94 and see if that does the trick. If not I'll go on a Clean Air rampage and burn down all the test facilities in my area. That may be my only option.
You know Dan that..............ummmm...........driving it at the high speed of 110kms might effect it................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..............man oh man...she has a ZE in her..........................drive the sh*t out of her then that will blow the crap out of her.........geesh :lol: :lol: .......... that is what I would do if I owned her :P

me bad

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”