Welbro 255lph for Mx-3 KLZE

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
DaMN

Welbro 255lph for Mx-3 KLZE

Post by DaMN »

Hello, hope it's the right forum for posting this question.
I own Mx-3 KLZE stirght neck '94.
My fuel pump decided to start dying (got "low fuel tank" light even if the fuel tank is full), I just got me in a good price the Welbro 255lph.
Havn't installed it yet 'cause I don't know for sure it'll be good for my car.

I don't intend to add turbo or even FPR, just to replace the original fuel pump in new one.
Can I install the Welbro 255lhp fuel pump in my car without adding anything and it'll work as the old original pump?

Thanks.
hgallegos915

Re: Welbro 255lph for Mx-3 KLZE

Post by hgallegos915 »

My ze ran fine with it, i remember I removed my turbo for a few months and drive the car like that. I got around 25 - 27 mpg. Some members have reported that their engines ran a little bit rich but was fixed with an afpr. Only way you can really tell if its running rich or not, is a wideband o2 sensor.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

Hey, first of all thank you for your answer.
I can still return it if it's not 100% like the original fuel pump, but i can't install it to check 'cause then the seller won't get it back.
From your things I understand it's better for me to go and buy the original fuel pump, that's the only way I can be sure it's 100% work as the old one.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

The original fuel pump may be more expensive (if you buy it local)

the klde fuel pump will work as wel too. I say install it and check your average miles per hour. Also dont forget to replace the hose that connects to the pump, mine lasted about a year then it popped from the pressure that the walbro pump created.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I believe the walbro will give to much pressure to your standard fpr and break it.

Just go to the junkyard and get a used one.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Did you get a 255 Low Pressure or 255 High Pressure?

I ran a 255 High Pressure, with all stock fuel system and the car ran fine, I ran it for over 2 years. It will be on the rich side but won't hurt anything.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Changing the fuel pump won't fix your fuel gauge problem. That is caused by the float not floating. When you get the Walbro pump you have to attach your stock pick up and float assembly to it before installation.

Your float probably has a leak and is full of fuel.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I ran a 255 on my stock FPR on my ZE for a long time. Probably close to 2 years if I remember.

I agree with bishop though, it doesn't really sound like a fuel pump problem.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

I'm pretty sure it's a fuel pump problem.
I got this warning "low fuel", I filled my car with water, not on purpose the fuel was diluted with water.
Me and my friend empty the fuel tank and saw water and oil.
Also on right turns the engine shuting of for a sec or two, it's not getting any fuel.
When I'm at the last querter of fuel, the pump having problem pumping fuel into the engine.

That's why I'm pretty sure it's a fuel pump problem, don't know if it's anything else, but the fuel pump is dead for sure.

BTW I got the high presure 255, but i'll go and replace it with the stock one, just to be on the safe side.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Changing the fuel pump is probably a good thing. But it will not necessarily solve all of those problems. Make sure you inspect the pickup and the float before you reinstall them. The fuel starvation issue could be because of a dirty sock. When you drained the tank did you actually clean it out? there is often a lot of crap collected in there...that could also be contributing to your problem.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

May as well change the filter in the bay, too. Not an expensive part, and a good idea if you're having fuel problems. I've seen them jam packed full of dirt, from the crap in the tank as wyt mentoned.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

Tomorrow I'll open and see what's going on inside.
Also I'll chack everything you guys said, thank you.

I'll update here.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”