Annoying Irish newbi here with few questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
simonmcf
antispam: No

Annoying Irish newbi here with few questions

Post by simonmcf »

Hey guys,

I have just got a 93 mx3 as a track day car. She is a little rough but I plan on working on her to get her setup for a few fun track days. It is a good way to learn the mechanics of a car and learn how to do few other bits and bobs.

She was orginally a 1.8v6 but I have been told that she has a 2lt out of a mx6 but Im not sure how to confirm this?

I think the HLA's are also gone, there is a heavy knock up to 2K rpm but then disappears after that? What oil should I use in her to reduce the noise? Also can this destory the engine if not sorted? Are there any online guides or manuals that I can get to replace them.

She is fully stripped out, any one have any other tips/guides on how to make the most out of the engine/box/handling?

As i said im total newb here and appreciate any positive responces.

Cheers
Simon
RX8SE3P

Re: Annoying Irish newbi here with few questions

Post by RX8SE3P »

Heavy knock up to 2k? Does the sound ever go away below 2k? It could be the cam friction gear thingies. Those are a sound problem only and you don't have to worry. Lifters are the other things that make noise, they can be treated with frequent oil changes. The best way to get rid of all engine noises is to rebuild the engine, and replace the HLAs (lifters) and cam spring gears. Don't worry too much though if it's a track car, you won't be idling at the traffic lights very much :lol:

I reckon a few good runs on a track combined with some before and after oil changes would help. Some people say the thicker oil works better for HLA noise, others think thinner oil is better. I'd say just get some 10W-whatever and you'll be ok.

You can confirm what type of engine by posting a pic of it here. Search a bit also, you'll find some good info.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
simonmcf

Post by simonmcf »

Yup the noise goes after 2k rpm? quite excited about getting her on the track, im currently a Honda man so be good to make the change. For the price im getting her for Id only do a rebuild if I was going to attempt myself.

Il be doing an oil change at the weekend, thanks for info
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

If you've done rebuilds before then it's not that hard. There's some online manuals about as well, you'll probably benefit from both the MX-6 manual and also the MX-3 manual. I used the MX6 one to rebuild my KLZE.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
simonmcf

Post by simonmcf »

is there any one that has prep'd their mx for a track, just looking to see what are the best mods to do

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”