Inspection issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kast2L

Inspection issues

Post by kast2L »

Alright so I went to go get my car inspected and the guy calls me and says the knocks are too high. I have the 1.8 liter in there so I don't know what to do or where to tackle the situation. It was leaking anti freeze but I put some stop leak in and it stopped the problem. Now I was told I should have flushed the system first then put the stop leak in ( i think the directions said to do that also). Now I do have a new thermostat and gasket to put on but just haven't yet but I was wondering what else could it be. I'm sure the fire order is correct but if someone has a link for the k8 I could double check, but it has new plugs, wires but I haven't done the cap and rotor.

Oh also my car idles strangely high at like 1500 rpms or so do I need to clean the MAF or something? Thanks.
93vtecklr

Re: Inspection issues

Post by 93vtecklr »

It's a VAF, jsyk, how are the rest of the levels? Have you run it out of oil in the past, has the previous owner? By knock do you mean tick? Was it a mechanical or a safety? If the firing order was effed it'd be smoking, and sound like a subie. Need more info.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

sorry i was incorrect but NoX.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

93vtecklr wrote:It's a VAF, jsyk, how are the rest of the levels? Have you run it out of oil in the past, has the previous owner? By knock do you mean tick? Was it a mechanical or a safety? If the firing order was effed it'd be smoking, and sound like a subie. Need more info.
never ran out of oil, I recently did a oil change too.

EDIT: and oh he said the nox levels were way higher than they were suppose to be.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Oh it was an emissions test? Check your 02 sensors, if they're fouled up they might be able to be cleaned. Your catalytic convertor may be plugged too, adding to the emissions.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

93vtecklr wrote:Oh it was an emissions test? Check your 02 sensors, if they're fouled up they might be able to be cleaned. Your catalytic convertor may be plugged too, adding to the emissions.
well i spoke to n4spd a little bit and I have a hi flo cat ment for a probe gt on the car so ima try and get a stock one on there. I don't get a check engine light but ill check the o2 sensors, but yes an emissions issue. I haven't done all the basic stuff to it yet, ima change the pcv valve soon, thermostat, etc.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Even if there's no CEL it might throw a code at you. But that's a long shot. I would suggest seafoaming it to clean it all out a bit.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

kast2L wrote:Oh also my car idles strangely high at like 1500 rpms or so do I need to clean the MAF or something? Thanks.
We don't have emissions tests here in alberta, unless it's one of those greenstops where you can have it checked for free to save the environment kinda deal. Do they do it while the car is idling? If so, at those crazy rpms you might be shooting out more crap than you "should" be.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

You albertans are so lucky. I wish Ontario didn't have emissions tests...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
edger0587
antispam: No

Post by edger0587 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:You albertans are so lucky. I wish Ontario didn't have emissions tests...
Try california. our emissions regulations are crazy :lol:
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

edger0587 wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:You albertans are so lucky. I wish Ontario didn't have emissions tests...
Try california. our emissions regulations are crazy :lol:
Ours are actually based on yours. They're just as tough.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

get a megaquirt... :P
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Dude's running a K8, wants to keep the K8, I'm sure he doesn't want megasquirt. To the OP, any updates on this?
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Well I grabbed another cat converter and no progress as of yet and I sure as hell don't plan on buying a megasquirt anytime soon. I do have a klze but I don't plan on dropping it in anytime soon. Someone suggested seamfoam but I've never used that before and what does it do? I spray onto something? Also the next time I try and get it done I'm goin to put premium in the car to try and help with the nox issues
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

kast2L wrote:Well I grabbed another cat converter and no progress as of yet and I sure as hell don't plan on buying a megasquirt anytime soon. I do have a klze but I don't plan on dropping it in anytime soon. Someone suggested seamfoam but I've never used that before and what does it do? I spray onto something? Also the next time I try and get it done I'm goin to put premium in the car to try and help with the nox issues

poor a garantied to pass bottle in it...

no but if i were you i wont try an other place for your test... i went 2 times to canadian tire and i failed then the day after i went to an other place and i passed... wierd, but its true...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”