Seafoam cleaner questions?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
newbieMX3
antispam: No

Seafoam cleaner questions?

Post by newbieMX3 »

I was thinking about running some seafoam cleaner through my car but was wondering if there are any cons to this and what are the benefits?
I have been having the bouncing idle problem, i cleaned the throttle body and iac and this fixed the problem for a day but now its back to bouncing again. The throttle body was pretty gunked up and so is the intake manifold, it has some serious gunk build up!
My other question would be how do i run this stuff through my car? i didnt really pay attention to the can but it looks like your suppose to hook it up to a vacumm line or maybe spray it into the throttle body area?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
projectzemx3

Re: Seafoam cleaner questions?

Post by projectzemx3 »

pull off your brake booster vacuum line while its running. put the line into the bottle and let it suck it all up. let her sit for a couple minutes. start it up and watch the smoke till it kinda dies down.

all done. ps dont forget to put your booster vacuum line back on ;)
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
newbieMX3

Post by newbieMX3 »

and there is only one vacuum line coming from the brake booster right?
how well does this stuff work? is it worth the hassle? ive never used this stuff before so i just want to get as much info as possible before i dive in..lol
newbieMX3

Post by newbieMX3 »

ok i got a can of seafoam cleaner today and it says to use 1/3 of a bottle of the cleaner if adding it to the intake system, my question is, will it really hurt if i add the whole bottle? my intake manifold is really really dirty and gunked up so i wanna make sure it gets as clean as possible without damaging anything.
oh and i just disconnect the big line going to the brake booster from the brake booster side and stick that in the seafoam can to suck it up through the intake?
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Yea you can use the whole can, but I would suggest leaving some to pour into the fuel tank to clean out the injectors too. And you'll need to hold it at around 2500 rpm and suck it through slowly so that the car doesn't stall and then turn it off quickly, so it would be much easier with 2 people. I would also suggest letting it sit for about 30 minutes and driving hard until the smoke's gone.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I've used it on moms car. Of course it always passes emissions with 160K on the odometer.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Can you use the vacuum line going from the pcv valve to the manifold
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

lowflyinmx3 wrote:Can you use the vacuum line going from the pcv valve to the manifold
Sure, it doesn't matter, as long as you use a vacuum line that takes a vacuum from all cylinders.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
newbieMX3

Post by newbieMX3 »

ok so i can take the hose off of the pcv valve put it in the sea foam can, rev the engine at 2500 rpms, suck up about 1/2 to 3/4 of can then shut off engine. letn sit for 5 minutes like the directions on can or let it sit for longer? then afterwords should i drive it or just start it and let it idle until the smoke dies down?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I believe you're supposed to put 1/3 of the can in the fuel tank, 1/3 into the engine oil and 1/3 into the intake. Select any intake manifold vacuum source to slurp it up. The brake booster works best I think because it's the largest vacuum hose. Mad Cow is right, the engine will have a hard time staying running while doing this as it is not extremely combustible so you'll have to keep the RPMs up as you slurp it up. Once you've slurped it all up, let the engine die and give it 30 mins to do it's thing. Then start the engine and keep the RPMs up until the smoke stops billowing out of the tailpipe.

Change the oil and filter out when you're done and the engine should be quite clean. I've never used the product myself, but that is how it was explained to me and it makes good sense.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

I just did it on my ZE about a month ago. i poured 1/3 into the pcv with it running at idle slowly and if it started to bog down i just tapped the throttle a bit and it was back up, it will want to die though so pour it in slowly if your by yourself. then 1/3 into the oil, and 1/3 into the gas. it was either the bottle or on their site to let it sit for about 5-10 mins. then start it back up. this will also show quite clearly if you have any exhaust leaks the smoke will come out of those easily. have fun, i did :D
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
newbieMX3

Post by newbieMX3 »

my intake manifold is really gunked up so would it hurt to put half the bottle in through the pcv hose or through the brake booster hose, letting it get sucked up into the manifold, then pouring the rest into the fuel tank?

and if i just put it in the gas tank and through the air intake do i still need to do an oil change right away?
cweed

Post by cweed »

i was told sea foam only slightly cleans it, but if its really bad I say take your manifold to get port and polished
'94 GS 1.8 V6 5 Speed Manual - cold air intake - hei mod - klze awaiting install
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

newbieMX3 wrote:ok so i can take the hose off of the pcv valve put it in the sea foam can, rev the engine at 2500 rpms, suck up about 1/2 to 3/4 of can then shut off engine. letn sit for 5 minutes like the directions on can or let it sit for longer? then afterwords should i drive it or just start it and let it idle until the smoke dies down?
You can let it sit 15-20 minutes, let it do its job cleaning/degreasing carbon inside. Start it up and drive it hard until all the smoke is gone, There will be A LOT of smoke :)
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
newbieMX3

Post by newbieMX3 »

ok i tried this tonight but had issues...lol first off how fast should this stuff be sucked up through the pcv hose? i had the engine warmed up, stuck the hose in the bottle held the throttle but after 20 seconds or 30 seconds tons of smoke was pouring out of my exhaust covering my neighbors place so i turned the car off and looked in the can of seafoam to only see about maybe 1/5 of the liquid sucked up?

does it go that slow or should it of been sucked up much faster? should i of used the brake booster line instead??

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”