Mis Spelled PLate on Ticket

Off-Topic Discussions
waspone

Mis Spelled PLate on Ticket

Post by waspone »

Got a 15 over, and my plate is written down wrong, do i fight it or pay the 50 bucks and suffer potential insurance rapage... what kinda affect could a 15 over have?
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
wytbishop

Re: Mis Spelled PLate on Ticket

Post by wytbishop »

Go get a court date and I'm sure the ticket will be quashed before it gets to court. If not you will definitely beat it.

Occasionally beaurocracy works in your favour.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
waspone

Post by waspone »

Yeah? everyones saying fight it, it was only a few hours ago im debating, he prbly lowered it to spare me getting points but i ono i dont want that on my record y'know im only a g2 driver
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Like wytbishop said, you won already.
Even if it's an obvious mistake, like writing an "O" for a "Q", or an "I" for a "T", the court can not legally assume it was. So they have to turn it down for "irregularities" in the data provided.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

they wrote your plate down wrong?

lol i wouldnt pay it lol its got nothing to do with you cause it wasnt you according to that ticket.

that and any mistake on a ticket gets thrown out.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Exactly, take it to court because you already won.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

hopefully it gets thrown out, let us know how it goes.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Take it to court, because no matter the verdict, the cop still gets overtime pay from YOUR tax dollars.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Well it's not a fatal error according to the law of Ontario but you still may have a chance. I hope you fought it.
An error that will get your ticket canceled is called a "fatal error."

Under the Ontario Provincial Offences Act some minor mistakes on speeding tickets can be corrected at court by the prosecution, but fatal errors cannot. For example, there maybe a mistake in the spelling of your name, the licence plate or year of the car is wrong. These are minor mistakes that can be corrected on the trial date by the Justice of the Peace or prosecutor and are not a fatal errors.

Fatal errors are mistakes that will get the traffic ticket cancelled because they are not fixable or amendable by the prosecution.

A mistake like the officer not putting his name on the speeding ticket is considered a "Fatal Error" and upon application by the defendant or his licensed paralegal the Justice of the Peace may "quash" or cancel the ticket.

If your Speeding Ticket has a fatal error a you have to make a motion to the court, and Justice of the Peace to review the error and make a ruling.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:A mistake like the officer not putting his name on the speeding ticket is considered a "Fatal Error" and upon application by the defendant or his licensed paralegal the Justice of the Peace may "quash" or cancel the ticket.
I had a ticket for my LCD many years ago. I went to fight it and it was thrown out for exactly that reason...but I didn't know until the first attendant told me.To this day I still think the cop did that on purpose.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I've seen Judges find a guilty verdict stating that mistakes happen. Don't assume your automatically off the hook. But yes see the court clerk
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Daninski wrote:I've seen Judges find a guilty verdict stating that mistakes happen. Don't assume your automatically off the hook. But yes see the court clerk
I agree... I can attest to this... on some of my tickets it worked, on others it doesn't matter if there are spelling errors or not... just depends how the clerk/judge feels that day (and your prior driving history).
waspone

Post by waspone »

Yeah i booked a date to fight the charge still haven't gotten a letter with a date. Dude at the desk said it is an amendable error and the judge will fix it, since the ticket is to your license not your plates.
92' Red GS - RIP
93' Black Miata LE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ah Ha good point. You could of been driving a Honda or a Studabaker who knows. Pay the fine and get on with your miserable life I say. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

If worst comes to worst they will always give you a plea bargain just for showing up, better than nothing. Also if it takes like a year to get a trial you can try to get it quashed by the 11b Application from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:
Any person charged with an offence in Canada has the right to be tried within a reasonable period of time under section 11b of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “Off-Topic”