B6 SOHC to a B6 DOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kakarot135

B6 SOHC to a B6 DOHC

Post by kakarot135 »

Okay here is the situation. My car is a 93 B6 Sohc, the transmission is gone completely. I found a car on craigslist that they want $200 for that the front end is totaled. it looks like everything is ok but the distributor cap and the intake tract on the motor. I was wondering how bad of a swap it was to put the DOHC with the good transmission into the body of my 93.

Or is there an easy way to replace everything around the engine without a major teardown and rebuild. If I get the fenders off is there a way to swap the support peices and framing from my 93 to the 95, just the body parts and frame.

I know it is a lot but I don't want to get in over my head by buying something that won't work.

Thanks,
Jason
Kakarot 135
Limegreen mx-3

Re: B6 SOHC to a B6 DOHC

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

kakarot135 wrote:Okay here is the situation. My car is a 93 B6 Sohc, the transmission is gone completely. I found a car on craigslist that they want $200 for that the front end is totaled. it looks like everything is ok but the distributor cap and the intake tract on the motor. I was wondering how bad of a swap it was to put the DOHC with the good transmission into the body of my 93.

Or is there an easy way to replace everything around the engine without a major teardown and rebuild. If I get the fenders off is there a way to swap the support peices and framing from my 93 to the 95, just the body parts and frame.

I know it is a lot but I don't want to get in over my head by buying something that won't work.

Thanks,
Jason

You want the easy way but just the trans from that wreak 94 and bolt up to ur sohc.. u said u wanted the easiest way right.. what u want to do is going over ur head. how did u know i was on the other site
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

We have spoken over there before and when I was looking down the forums I saw you name as the most recent post so I fugured it was worth a try.

And the transmission will bolt up ok to a SOHC. If this is the case I will get the car for sure and steal all the other parts I want off of it.

Thanks,
Jason
Kakarot 135
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

kakarot135 wrote:We have spoken over there before and when I was looking down the forums I saw you name as the most recent post so I fugured it was worth a try.

And the transmission will bolt up ok to a SOHC. If this is the case I will get the car for sure and steal all the other parts I want off of it.

Thanks,
Jason
Yes I have used a 94-95 tranny on a sohc all you will need is the tranny the sohc axles will fit in the tranny as both the sohc and dohc trans spline are the same..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

Cool, thank you very much, you have recieved Karma there for the help too. Who knows the interior is in better shape so I may have to swap some pieces from that too. and the back bumper cover is 100% better than mine, and may swap the power windows as well.

If the tranny is bolt on then the car should be up and running by the end of summer.

thanks,
Jason

and good to see your brother is still over there as well. Are you talking sense into him on his car yet...
Kakarot 135
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

kakarot135 wrote:Cool, thank you very much, you have recieved Karma there for the help too. Who knows the interior is in better shape so I may have to swap some pieces from that too. and the back bumper cover is 100% better than mine, and may swap the power windows as well.

If the tranny is bolt on then the car should be up and running by the end of summer.

thanks,
Jason

and good to see your brother is still over there as well. Are you talking sense into him on his car yet...
Well he is a MX-6 fanatic not me and im a MX-3 fanatic where he is not.. so one does what one can.. As for talking sense into him IDK what to tell him
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

The trannies are identicle, except the 94+ has sychronized reverse.

The engines, however, are likely to be different wiring harnesses. The bay is the same, but the electronics (and some related hardware) aren't. Also, you don't need to remove fenders to swap everything in an engine bay. Probably just the hood, for convenience.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Hood why would a hood need to be swap there isn't going to be any hood clearance issues..
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I would take it off so I don't have to worry about knocking the prop out and it sandwiching me.

Put the same one on later :P

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

Ryan I was asking about fenders and the doghouse for if I just rebuilt the body on the wrecked car around the good engine and transmission but since then I have learned the car is a salvage title so I will just swap what I need to my car so I have a full title for it. thank you for the responce though....

I will remove the hood to allow better access to the motor to pull it out.

Thanks,
Jason
Kakarot 135
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sorry, I was actually a bit of an a--.

The swappage of the front clip is no fun/not worth it. Although I'm sure they are 90% identicle. Different holes and such...

Physical matters are not the problem here, in any case.

The transmission is not really a problem. It bolts straight in and up to any B motor. B3, B5, B6, B8, BP... you name it. The neutral, and reverse switches are all the same, but the speedometer is mechanical in 93 and digital in 94. That can be fixed though. The axles should all be the same as well, at least as fitment goes.

The engines, however, require much more wiring and have many more differences. The 94 motor has VICS, and a different airflow meter, and a bunch of other stuff that I never really cared to learn about. The bottom line is, the change is a pain.

If you look in the FAQ Gro Harlem has an awesome writeup about the different wiring harnesses and the differences and the fixes.

The best bet is to take the wiring with the engine you're using.

The rest doesn't matter, or is easily fixed.

Happy swapping :D

Ryan

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Phoxx21

Post by Phoxx21 »

It works fine, same blocks, same mounts, just different head and different computer. essentually
Kampf für Deutschland.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”